Placer offers clubs for all types of students interests

Students that are interested in getting involved and making a difference in their community, may not know of the many service clubs at Placer High School. The Key Club, Leo’s Club, and Interactive Club are great clubs to get involved in while you are still at Placer.

“I think service helps teens feel a sense of self worth, and a feeling of connectedness to people in the school and the community” says Annett Udall, advisor of the Placer High Key Club.

The Key club focuses on teaching and spreading values through the community. They raise a lot of money for charity and awareness and take part in many fundraising activities such as relay for life (a run for cancer), salvation army bell ringing , and trick or treating for unicef (United Nations Children’s Fund).

As a club, they keep track of all the hours and activities they do. Several hundred hours were given by the club members.

“members can pick as many hours as they want so they can kind of pick and chose what they want to participate in” Udall mentioned.

There are about thirty to forty participating members in the Placer High Key Club.

The Interact Club, a high school version of the rotary club, is a community service club. They do many fun activities, along with community service activities, such as the Placer High haunted house, and the japanese exchange student program rotary diner, purple pinkie (donations that go to polio vaccines), and the obstacle scramble.

The members are encouraged to participate in as many community service activities they can.

“we have a raffle at the end, where they can win prizes,we reward them  for reaching their goals” says S. Johnson, one of the advisors of the interact club.

Being in the Interact Club goes on your resume, and you are qualified to apply for scholarships for a summer leadership program, and are qualified to apply for an international exchange program, so you can go to a different country, and learn about a different cultures, and beliefs. The Interact club is a nice way to help out your community, but also have some fun with it.

The Leos Club, also a community service club, provides volunteer opportunity, and is also a great way to have fun. Some of the many interesting fundraisers that they do include: car washes, crab feed, stocking stuffers, food closet, food drives, and catrina and sandy donations. The Leos club is connected to the lions club, an adult club that focuses on community service. However, the Placer High School Leos Club, focuses on the students services to the public.

“The purpose also for high school is basically to teach kids to not be so self absorbed, but to think in a bigger realm” says Linda Ganskie, advisor of the Leos Club.

The Leos club looks also very good on an application for college.

According to Ganskie,there goal is to “raise as much money as possible, so we can do as many things as possible”.

Even though the Key Club, Interact Club, and the Leos Club are all very similar, they are all sponsored by different organizations, and all have different community service activity. If you are questioning getting involved in the Placer High School clubs, contact Suzanna Johnson in room 511 if you’re interested in the interact club, Annette Udall room 102 if you’re interested in the Key club, and Linda Ganskie room 103 if you’re interested in the Leos club