Intervention at Placer High School: Is it helpful or waste of time?

Story by Lydia La Barbera, Messenger Staff Writer

Freshman at PHS filling out their FlexiSched for the week.

Intervention at Placer High School is useful to some, but other students and staff despise the idea.

Many of the faculty members at Placer believe that intervention is imperative for students to maintain academic structure, and obtain the support students need.

Kyle Turner, the principal of Placer High School, says he is a big fan of intervention. “Intervention allows students that may be behind on work to catch up,” said Turner, “It can also help students that may need to go over key concepts they struggle with up close with their teacher.”

Intervention (also known as HillTime) is not popular with students that have a high grade-point average as this particular group of students finds intervention useless to them. 

Ava Wood, a student at Placer High School, finds intervention pointless because she maintains a high grade-point average. “I don’t really have much use for intervention because I always stay up to date on work,” Wood stated, “I usually just sit on my phone during it.”

Although this is a fact for many students, intervention can still be useful for students who maintain 4.0 grade-point averages. 

“Students with straight A’s can still find use out of intervention,” said Mr. Turner, “they can take advantage of the extra time to maintain their GPA standings.”

There are a broad group of students at Placer that believe intervention should only be required for students with low-grade standings.

“I think HillTime should only be for kids that struggle with completing school work,” said Wood, ”It should be something that is required only for some kids.”

Staff at PHS want students to be 100% caught on up everything, and doing the best they can. Intervention does a lot to help out with that. 

“I feel that intervention for the math department has helped raise students’ grades,” says Joshua Turney, a math teacher at Placer High, “It has given them time to retake ELO tests and study.”

Intervention at PHS can always be improved, the structure of it – according to Mr. Turner – really depends on how the teacher organizes their intervention.

The real question on students’ minds is – will HillTime be a constant at PHS? Or is it a passing ship?

A majority of the faculty members at Placer feel that intervention should stay, it benefits students and helps them do the best they can with little stress as possible, so it’s probably safe to assume that intervention will continue for years to come.