Trap-shooting new to Placer athletics

Placer graduate Ellie Doughty represents her trap-shooting polo from last year’s team.

A brand new club on campus, Placer’s Trap Shooting team has taken our school by storm, though not many have even heard of it.

“I’ve only heard of it once, and that was just in the announcements” says Lela Scott, senior.

Despite its struggle for fame, the Placer Sportsman’s Club has been remarkably successful in its first year.

Ellie Doughty, a 2012 graduate, shared her experience with the team, “I shot trap for the first time over the summer before school. I fell in love, it’s so addicting.”

The club, partially founded by junior Nick Macy, shoots for the California Youth Shooting Sports Associating (CYSSA), alongside other high schools in our area including Del Oro, Lincoln, and Colfax.

Practice is held at the Auburn Trap Club, after of course a detailed gun safety lesson designed to keep our aspiring Hillmen safe from injury. These safety guidelines are heavily enforced, a competitor can be removed from the team should he/she breaks a rule.

“Its mostly common gun knowledge, but we have to wear ear plugs and safety glasses while shooting and there are designated areas for shooting and spectating” says Doughty about the safety rules.

Along with safety, a member must know the process of trap shooting to be able to win.  The only way to be successful in this sport is to hit the clay pigeon (the target). After this is accomplished, a worthy competitor has to practice as often he/she possibly can and should know the traditions and courtesies of trap shooting.

The competitors begin by lining up in a row, one on each of the five blocks. The blocks are located 16 yards behind the trap house. When an advanced group of shooters lines up for a round, they will often be given a handicap, meaning they will have to shoot farther back than 16 yards. The maximum handicap is 27 yards, and Placer’s team shoots at the 16 yard line.

Loading their rifles only at their turn, they begin shooting the clay pigeons one at a time, five times each. Every time a round is completed, the competitors rotate blocks.

There is an obvious curiosity surrounding this new team on campus, and most are eager to learn more about what happens and how to join. It is clear that Trap is a good match for Placer’s student body.

“It fits our school really well because we live in the country, we are Hillmen, and people like to shoot here” states Scott regarding her impression of the club.

If students are interested in learning more about Trap Shooting, you can contact the head coach Chris Slane at [email protected] or visit the Auburn Trap Club.