A look back on “Flashback Day”

For three years now, Placer has reserved a “throwback” or “flashback day” each year dedicated to STAR test review. Many students have aren’t sure about whether “flashback day” is beneficial or just a complete waste of a day.

“I think we need an extra review day,” stated sophomore Kellyn McDonald

Seniors were told to come to school the entire week of STAR testing and for the “flashback” day. Seniors had to go back to their last term classes to review, even though they were not required to take the STAR test.

“I could’ve been finishing my senior project instead,” commented senior Madison O’ Guin.

For underclassmen though, flashback was a fun experience that they’re looking forward to doing again.

“I liked it, it was helpful for the subjects you needed to go over,” stated sophomore Sabrina Viscuso

Several ideas were run through for STAR testing over the last few years. Breakfast for students was suggested, but not put into action due to financial issues.

“It was fun seeing all the people I haven’t seen in a while,” said freshman Austin Stephens.

Students look forward to flashback day because they get to see all of their old classmates.

“Flashback” day is a day in which students either can take advantage of going to their old classes again, or not take the STAR test seriously and socialize the whole time. Either way, “flashback day” offers two great aspects to the school day; seeing old classmates and refreshing one’s mind of lost lessons.

My experience wasn’t as beneficial as my freshman year because my last period class this year was basketball P.E., which didn’t benefit me at all.

For seniors though, this is a completely different story, STAR test week is a week seniors look forward to most of their high school careers, but not this year. Seniors were required to attend school throughout the week, but were able to come to school later on. Seniors participated in activities in the auditorium, including the Talent Show and Senior Breakfast.“I didn’t pay attention at all during the review day because it didn’t help me at all; it was a pointless day for the seniors,” stated senior Caitlyn Mayo.

Not only was it pointless for the seniors to show up for STAR testing week, but handing out old schedules to seniors on printed paper, burned more of a hole in the schools budget. Lights on in the auditorium, the senior breakfast, and the guest speaker all came out of the schools pocket.

Attendance was a big reason as to why seniors had to attend school during testing week.

“I didn’t go most of the days. I wanted to sleep in, but the talent show was cool,” said senior Kevin Brumfield.

“Flashback day” can be a bit of a hassle for teachers as well as students. STAR testing week interrupts all classes, and with STAR testing being held right after spring break it made it even harder.

“I would do more than just one throwback day, like two or three maybe,” said Viscuso about what she would do to improve STAR test scores.

“Flashback day” may not always be a successful one, but for those who choose to embrace it, it’s a day worth spending.