Traditions of donating continues with fall blood drive

For years, schools around the world have hosted blood drives to collect bloodfor those in need of a blood infusion.  Last Thursday and Friday, Placer High School hosted their first of two annual blood drives for this year.  

In 1990, Placer science teacher Thomas Schroeder brought the blood drive back to Placer High School and has been running it ever since.

“I became interested in the blood drive because I donated blood when I was in high school,” stated Schroeder.  Schroeder himself has donated 105 times.

“I wanted to give students the opportunity to give for life,” he said.

“We typically get around 200 students to donate in the fall and another 200 in the spring, so around 400 in all for the whole year.  Placer puts on fantastic drives; it’s really great to see the student body behind it.  Also, the drives are critical because the organization behind the blood donations, BloodSource, really depend on a lot of the school drives because the students are so generous and they really do give a lot,” Schroeder continued.

“In fact, BloodSource has said that year after year Placer is one of their favorite places to go because the people and the students are so great.”

Bloodsource is an organization that collects blood donations and provides life-saving blood products to our society and it is also the business that hosts our school’s blood drives and even offers scholarships to students who are involved with organizing blood drives at their schools.  It is so important to give blood because it really saves lives.  One donation has the potential to save as many as three lives. 

Cameron Ederer, Plcer junior, loves donating his blood to BloodSource.

“It feels great,” stated Ederer. “It feels so good to give.  It’s a win-win.”  This was Ederer’s second time giving blood.  “I do it to save lives,” he added.  “Who wouldn’t want to save a life?”

“The number one reason people don’t give blood is because they haven’t been asked, so it’s awesome that Placer makes a point to recruit the students,” stated Placer sophomore Lauren Taber.  Taber couldn’t donate blood because she’s too young, so she decided to recruit students and volunteer her time to the drive instead.

“I liked working at the drive because I could still help out.” 

The student volunteers helped keep track of donors and gave them balloons, water, and other treats made by Schroeder’s advanced biology class. 

However, some people don’t give blood because they are afraid of needles. 

“If you are too terrified, don’t do it.  You have to be able to sacrifice a little.  No pain, no gain!  But it is so important because there is no substitute for human blood, and if someone needs blood, it’s a matter of life or death,” Schroeder said “It feels so good to know you’re helping save someone’s life. I think it’s worth it.”

“I was scared the first time I donated because it was like entering the unknown. I didn’t know how it was going to feel,” stated Ederer.  “But the second time I wasn’t scared at all.  My advice would be not to bend your arm when you’re giving, or the needle will go really deep into it.” 

Ederer offered another perspective for people unsure about giving.

“If you could save your father by giving him blood, would you?  So why not save someone else’s loved one?  Giving blood is like giving the gift of life!  Also, all the food you get after is great.  Thanks to all the people who put their time into making it all.  The Oreo cookie fudge was amazing.”

This year, 268 Placer students signed up to give blood in the fall drive alone, including sophomore Sophia Wax who gave blood for the first time as a 16 year old. 

“This is my first time giving blood because I’m finally old enough.  Also, needles freak me out,” Wax stated.  “I just wanted to be able to contribute and save lives.  I think it’s awesome that donating is available to schools.  It’s a great chance for people to come together to help out and give,” she said.

For more information and facts about donating blood, visit www.BloodSource.com.