Andrew Naleway

All high school sports take time, dedication and hard work. Like every sport, wrestling is very time consuming. Not only do the placer wrestlers have practice everyday after school, but they also endure countless hours at tournaments every weekend during the season.

Andrew Naleway, is one of the senior captains of the wrestling team. It is his fourth year wrestling at Placer. He has high hopes for the three time PVL champions Placer wrestling team this year.

“I think we’ll have a very successful season this year. I expect the seniors to do very well, and I think that the lower classman will do good and progressively get better throughout the year,” Stated Andrew Naleway.

Wrestling takes more preparation than it seems. A wrestler doesn’t just magically pin their opponent, it takes years of learning moves and practicing in order to critique one’s technique. Most wrestlers spend most of their time in a wrestling room working on moves and improving their skills. It takes a lot of brain power in order to remember different moves, and act according to one during a match. Although wrestling takes lot of time, work and dedication, most wrestlers can find fun within the sport.

“I enjoy going to tournament with the team, and going to different schools for duals,” Commented Naleway.

Unlike most sports, wrestling is an individual sport. Although it is a team, the outcome of a match is up to the wrestler themselves. Meaning there’s no excuses for your own mistakes.

“I like that wrestling is an individual sport because un like football and other sports, it doesn’t matter on your size. You can be small and be a great wrestler,” stated Andrew.

“My most memorable moment would have to be when we won league for the first time my sophomore year,” commented Naleway.

Most sports are played with some type of equipment such as a basketball or football. Wrestling does not fall under this category. Wrestling is all about the pure competition between a player and an opponent without the use of equipment. This makes the sport of wrestling unique and more competitive than an average sport. An ordinary day of wrestling usually consists of conditioning, and learning and practicing moves.

“My favorite wrestling move would have to be Joe Thorton’s claw,” stated the senior.

All in all, wrestling is a sport filled with dedication and motivation. It takes countless hours of free time in order to succeed throughout the season. Wrestling requires passion and discipline for the countless hours spent in the wrestlingroom.