Facebook vs. myspace

Social networking has become more popular than ever these days among the human society.

There are many different social networking sites, but through trial and error our nation has come to know the top two sites Facebook and Myspace. Some prefer Facebook gamed and surveys while chatting with friends over the chat box. Others prefer decorating their personal page to their liking while listening to the latest and greatest music all throughout MySpace.

“Facebook has less multimedia; its focus is more towards games and apps, where MySpace leans more towards music marketing. All in all, they both keep us indoors behind a monitor which actually keeps us less in contact with the real world”, stated substitute Mr. Green.

Most people either have a Facebook or MySpace. It’s a great way to sty in contact with friends, re-connect with old friends, and meet new people. Although it seems to help build relationships, does it really help, or is it actually destroying our social ability to communicate?

Most people agree that speaking your mind over a screen is a lot easier than communicating in person.

“Everyone’s always on Facebook because it’s easy to get on and stay on,” commented sophomore, Peter Denham. 

“Facebook is way better. It’s a lot less complicated than MySpace. Almost everyone has a Facebook, MySpace is for junior highers” stated sophomore, Lauren Collins.

It is agreed that MySpace upholds the networking site for younger people. From most impressions, MySpace is more a place for people to “bad mouth” each other than it is to communicate with friends. A lot of hurtful and degrading images and statuses go in and out of these social networking sites daily.

“Everyone has a Facebook. It’s always just right there because of phones and laptops so it’s really easy to get on these days,” stated senior, Chelsea Hudson.

January 14, 2010, a headline hit the news that Pheobe Prince committed suicide. People found it shocking that a well liked girl would commit suicide. She was happy at home and for the most part enjoyed school, or so it seemed. It was later found on Pheobes Facebook that she received hate emails weekly encouraging her to kill herself or leave the school.

“There are a lot of icky people on MySpace. It’s just a site where junior highers can bad mouth each other. Facebook is more for older people; it’s a lot more sophisticated,” commented sophomore, Danielle Fitts.

“Facebook is so much easier to work. It’s nice cause it shows everything on someone’s page, so if you want to see what they’ve been doing, all you have to do is look at their page,” commented Alyssa Prior.

All in all, most people prefer facebook over MySpace. Some prefer it for its great features, some enjoy the games and surveys, and others just like the feeling that it’s a more mature networking site.