Recomended places to shop for prom and formal attire

Story by Addie Buckingham, Messenger Staff Writer

Senior ball and Junior prom are approaching for PHS students. One of the most memorable parts of these school dances is the outfits and attire. However, deciding what to wear and where to get it from can be challenging.

For example, Lulus is an online clothing store that has swimsuits, tops, two piece sets, shoes, and dresses of many styles for many occasions. The shipping is relatively fast, between 12 and 22 days, and the majority of the items are priced very well. You can search for your dress under many different categories such as occasion, style, trend, or color. 

“Lulus actually considers themselves an affordable luxury brand. And, according to an article on the Glossy, a good 90% of the clothes seen on Lulus are exclusive to the site. Lulus clothing is not like Shein or other fast fashion brands that are manufactured overseas in sweatshops and fall apart upon first wash,” shared Life With Mar, a fashion review blog. 

Lucy In The Sky is another online shop that has the hearts of many Placer students. Maddison R. shared on Better Business Bureau that, “The customer service is amazing, it’s always fast and responsive. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a good dress and reliable service.” Although the price range is higher than that of Lulus, Lucy In The Sky offers accessories such as jewelry and shoes that will perfectly match your outfit and help to bring the whole outfit together. 

One tip that other shoppers shared was that the sizes run small. “Received dress within 5 days by FedEx after ordering. Did run a little small, had to return. Return process was easy… Very satisfied with this process,” Melissa N. from Better Business Bureau stated.

For men’s attire, Men’s Wearhouse offers prom tuxedos and suits of many colors, styles, and sizes. Men’s Wearhouse gives the option to rent or buy a tux for your prom night. You can even customize your tux in terms of color, fabric, and fit. 

There are also more casual options from this store if your style is less formal. They offer sport coats such as blazers, dinner jackets, sweaters, and dress shoes as well. Men’s Wearhouse has an overall 3.9 star review, and many locations are open in the Auburn and Roseville area.

And finally, Macy’s offers both men’s and women’s prom attire. They have a unique selection both in store and online. They offer a number of accessories such as cuff-links, watches, earrings and shoes. You can also narrow your search by price, material, or color to match your date or friends. Macy’s also sells active and casual wear on top of formal attire. 

Macy’s formal attire has an overall 4.4 star rating, and is always a reliable place to shop. 

Although students all have different styles when it comes to formal, ball, or prom attire, these shops have something to offer to everyone. Having an outfit you love can make the experience of your Junior prom or Senior ball ten times better and more memorable.