Auburn Racquet Club offers fitness scholarship program

The Auburn Racquet & Fitness Club is currently in full swing of its 2nd annual Scholarship Program that is open to juniors and seniors at both Colfax and Placer High School.

Sign-ups began at the beginning of the school year where students interested in the four month program answered a few questions on the Clubs website, ar-fc.com.

Filling out the application for the Scholarship Program was fairly easy and almost all students were accepted.

Along with a free four month membership to the Racquet Club, one student has the opportunity to receive a $2000 scholarship for college.

The essays will be written and judged by a panel of ARFC trainers and Colfax and Placer teachers in February 2013.

The essay must be 1000 words and discuss the importance of health and fitness while attending the gym and how the student can help their community with the skills they acquired during the program.

From October 1st to January 31st the program hosts weekly classes run by ARFC trainers that are specifically targeted towards high school students.

“The lady who directed my group fitness class was awesome and we did different stuff each time like weight lifting and cardio,” stated senior Brandon Barry.

Group Training classes consist of plyometrics, cardio, kickboxing, and weight training.

With over 100 students participating in the program, it’s no wonder why the program has remained successful and beneficial for the last 2 years.

“[We want students] to further understand and experience the benefits of a lifestyle of fitness and health, including the social aspect,” explained Scholarship Program Director, David Ray.

Ray works at the Racquet Club and volunteered immediately for the position because he was unable to the previous year.

“We did the program two years ago in the spring, so I couldn’t [volunteer] with coaching Colfax girls’ soccer. I was excited when they decided to move it to the fall and jumped at the chance to run the program,” stated Ray.

Along with running the program, Ray also has to make sure that students keep up with their requirements.

A student must workout at the Club at least three times a week and must participate in a Group Training class once a week.

Along with Group Training classes, scholarship program members are required to attend fifteen Group Fitness classes within the four month time period.

Students have the opportunity to sign-up for every class offered at the gym.

Classes include Zumba, Cycling, Water Aerobics, Abs & Back, Pilates, Yoga, and many more.

Two Group Tennis classes are also needed to fulfill all the requirements of the program.

A Nutrition 101 Seminar is also held each week and students must attend one session to stay in the program.

This may be doable for most students, but those with many other responsibilities and activities outside of school have a hard time fulfilling all of the requirements.

“I have work everyday, so it’s hard to work around that schedule and on weekends there are only classes in the morning and I am not an early bird,” said senior Christina Lehigh.

Although it may be difficult for some students, others have reaped the benefits of having a free membership and a variety of classes offered everyday.

The program used to run for a six month period from January to May, but with a four month time frame now it is a faster paced program with fewer requirements.

“[We do this] as a community outreach to reach out to the younger generation to introduce them to, and have them pass on the news of, the benefits of being a member of a club,” stated Ray.

With a $2000 scholarship on the line, students in the program are making the most of their experience and the club encourages more sign-ups next October.

“You get to workout for free and the there is the possibility of getting money and getting healthy,” said Lehigh.