Junior varsity football team short on players

Almost half of the JV football team is shown prior to their game against Casa Roble.

By MaKayla Ratcliff

Messenger Staff Writer

Although the JV team is often stuck in the shadows of the Varsity team one thing that is really noticeable are the shortage of players. New Placer high JV football assistant coach Brett Belanger, states that he thinks the season will not be effected by the amount of players.

“I think the players we do have are talented and hard working, this season will be a good one,” Belanger.

Being his first year ever coaching football, Belanger is not effected by the amount of players he has but holds a positive attitude and believes in his players. Colfax High Transfer Robby Lopez, states that his freshmen team at Colfax had over Forty kids, now at Placer the JV team only has twenty-eight, and only twenty-three are eligible to play.

Before the Hillmen’s first game against Grant High School,they lost players due to ineligibility to play because of grades. Offensive, Defensive, and Special Teams player Todd Valliere stated:

“I think it would help if we had more players, but we are bonding more as a smaller team I also think we have the talent to win league”, states sophomore Valliere. Being one of the players that has to play multiple positions, he is not the only one.There are nine total that play offense, defense, and special teams. Robby Lopez going from only playing one position at Colfax came to Placer and is having to move around and help his teammates out by playing several positions. Sophomore Hugo Lopez stated,

“We have to work harder and play harder but with the talent we have I don’t think our season will be effected by it,” Lopez. Lopez is another of the players who plays multiple positions and went on to say,

“ I get no breaks when I play, I only get a break if I cramp up,” Lopez.

Quarterback Logan Strange, is not effected by the shortage of players at all.

“ I think our season will be a great one, I have great receivers I can always count on,”said Strange. Being a Varsity Football player for the Hillmen, Brandin Rinaldo stated,

“I don’t think the JV team will be effected by the shortage of players because they have a lot of talent,” Rinaldo.

Maybe the JV team doesn’t have the most number of players but they have a positive attitude and we hope it will be a great season for our young Hillmen. The coaches have great confidence in their team, and all the players work as a team and are excited to get the season on the road.