National Championship game ready for change

The BCS National Championship is over, but there is still the question of whether the ranking system currently in place is the best choice for crowning a national champion.

There has been controversy about the current way that teams get to play in bowl games. As of the latest season of college football, the current system uses a mathematical equation to determine the top 25 teams in the country. Many people in the college football world consider this to be an arbitrary system that does not give all teams a fair chance.

In recent years teams such as Boise State and Texas Christian University have finished their seasons with undefeated records but were subject to playing bowl games not as prestigious as the National Championship game simply because other teams that went undefeated were considered to play tougher opponents and had a tougher schedule meaning that their 12-0 record was better than Boise State’s or TCU’s 12-0 records.

“The best teams should be able to play each [other] whether they are a big or small school to see who is truly the best team in the nation,” commented junior Alec Burnett.

The National Championship should not come down to school size and who you play. Winning games is tough no matter who you play and the best, determined by record, should play one another not the best that are determined by an arbitrary opinion that one conference is better than another.

“[Should be] between the top sixteen teams. Teams get into the playoffs through the BCS pole,” stated junior Cody Ciciarelli.

The idea of using a playoff system has been tossed around for many years. It is considered an un-arbitrary way to name a national champion because it does not come down to where a team is ranked. This gives teams an opportunity to play teams out of conference and prove that the TCU’s of the world can possibly knock off the LSU’s of the world and show to fans, colleges, and BCS board members that just because a school is not recognized in the national limelight that they can play against the nations best.  

This would not eliminate the BCS completely, their ranking system would remain in place and now the top teams would play through a playoff bracket until the last team standing is named the National Champion.

This topic has been the subject of so much debate that even President Barack Obama has commented on the playoff system, and is in full support of the playoffs.

It is simple. Put a system in place that does not involve computers choosing who plays in the national championship. Create a playoff where the top schools in the country, determined by record, play one another and controversy is immediately put to rest because there is no longer room for questioning. Wins and losses should crown a champion not a computer.