Football preview by Zac Hersh

The Placer High School football team is looking to have another successful season in the fall of 2010. Led by Coach Joey Montoya and an experienced class of seniors, this season could easily end in a championship.

After last years’ amazing run to the section championship game, there is one thing in all the minds of both young and old players on the Hillmen team. That is getting back to the championship game and finally winning it.

“My goals for the season are to win the section championship and beat Colfax,” said sophomore Eddy Vanderdose.

Though the team has great prospects, it’s going to take a lot of work from the players to end the season with a title.

“Our team can win league and section if we push ourselves and if we want it bad enough,” said sophomore Eddy Vanderdose. “Confidence in winning is key and this year’s team has the confidence and skill to win.”

“This team has got potential; every week we are going to see big improvements,” said Coach Joey Montoya. Montoya is in his fourth year as the head coach of the Hillmen. He has taken the team to two section championship game appearances in a row.

This season the Hillmen have multiple leaders on the team. One of those leaders is senior quarterback Collin Burnett. Last year, Burnett was able to guide the team to the section championship game as a junior. He also set the single season passing record for Placer High School, beating Greg Denham’s previous record. Another leader on the team is senior linebacker Caleb Mitchell. Mitchell has always been a leader and is hoping to finish his career at Placer High School with a championship.

“My goals for the season are to win league and then a section championship,” said Mitchell.

The Placer Hillmen have already won their first two games this season. In the first week of the season they beat Vallejo by a large margin. In the second, the test was a little tougher, but they beat Bethel of Vallejo in a close game that was decided at the end of the fourth quarter.

“We should have beat Bethel by more,” said Montoya. 

After all the long hours of practice, it is finally time for the Hillmen to pick up where they left off and get another shot at the section title.

“Our goals are to pick up from the momentum from last year and improve on it,” said Coach Joey Montoya.

“I think we’re better than we were last year” said Mitchell.

With returning seniors and a line up of new talent, this year’s football team will be a force to be reckoned with.