Skateboarding on campus

Have you seen the skateboards rolling all over Placer’s campus? I have. In my opinion I find that skateboards are useful but, if the person on them is careless, then there could be major fatalities.

The skateboards are no longer allowed on campus so I haven’t seen them as much. This would be a new prohibition for the skateboarders and the skateboards them selves. It has been applied only because the skateboards cut other students off while they are walking in between classes and or driving through campus. The elimination of skateboards is a “safety hazard”. I feel that this has really helped the campus skateboard accidents.

This rule is brand new and I feel that it is only in place to keep the students safe.  We have only been in school for about three months and already I see a difference from the beginning. On the first week, or even first day of school many skateboarders would skate right into the middle of the street, right in front of cars. They could have been hit and injured or even killed.

I once witnessed a skater almost hit when the light turned green and he sped out into the street. The students never would watch where they were going.

The skateboarders must abide by signs and signals of the road. The skaters here at Placer High never did that. They would just skate on out into the road without looking.

Skaters must never enter a street from a driveway or large sidewalk. It is dangerous and can potentially harm the skaters that do it. This is what the skaters here at Placer High used to do.

I also feel the laws that are implied for the skateboarders are not being issued hard enough; I don’t even think that most skateboarders know about them.

At Placer they are now starting to enforce upon the laws for skateboarders and what they must do to protect themselves and others around them. In my opinion this is great for the skaters because it gives them regulations to abide by, that way their not on the loose to injure themselves.

The skateboarders don’t annoy me to the extent that I don’t want them around I’m just saying that I don’t want to be hit by them or have any trouble with them.

Most of the students that I have heard from feel the skaters are now much better on campus considering their skateboarding techniques. They don’t ride them during school hours as much anymore.

I feel that as the skateboarders at Placer High are holding their skateboards rather than riding them around is a much safer learning environment.