Christmas Music Overplayed?

Everybody’s familiar with Christmas music; it’s played everywhere. Whether it’s walking through a grocery store or random songs on the radio, Holiday music drifts through the air from the day after Thanksgiving to the beginning of December. Christmas music gets extremely over-played through the Holiday season.
    “I think the common seasonal Christmas music is annoying, it gets way to repetitive,” said junior Devin McFarland. The Christmas music that she grew up on is still played today, she wishes that there was a wider variety of songs. She likes the newer Christmas songs that bands either remake, or write themselves.
    “They have a fresher sound to them, and they add their own twists to them so that they are more their own songs,” McFarland explained.  In the past bands like, the Beach Boys, Radiohead, and the Smashing Pumpkins have done covers of famous Christmas songs.  The original music is played so much that in some cases people dream about or even sing Christmas music in their sleep, like sophomore Domenick Alvarez.
    “I hear the music so much, that I actually sing Christmas songs in my sleep,” Alvarez said. During the Christmas season he is caught actually singing the overplayed songs while he’s sleeping. He hears the music playing everywhere, like on the radio, on TV commercials, and as said before in stores you go in everyday.
    “I think it’s overplayed a little because it seems like every store starts playing it a whole month before the actual holiday and play it non stop,” said a junior, “but even though its over played a little, it is still nice because it gets people in the holiday spirit.” the student continues. The music media wants to get the point across, the holiday season is meant to be spent happily with your family. But is the music being pushed on the public to much?
    Most grocery stores play the music non-stop, Christmas song after Christmas song, suffocating the customers that don’t like that kind of music. You can walk through stores and attempt tuning out the music, but sometimes that’s impossible to do.
    Everyone’s witnessed the random person walking happily along and either singing, whistling, or humming along to the tune of the song that’s playing throughout the store. Try ignoring that as your trying to get to the produce you need, nearly impossible to do. Listening to Christmas songs over and over again for nearly two months each year does get very annoying. New songs need to come out and keep the public on their toes and interested in the Holiday spirit. Though Holiday music is overplayed, you need to look past that and enjoy the time with the people around you.