New snack bar coming soon, in time for basketball season

Maintenance workers renovating new snack bar on the dance floor

With the help of local donations, Placer students will finally get to purchase their sodas, candy and popcorn from a permanent snack bar in the Earl Crabbe gym.

In past sporting events, there were lots of preparations done to construct a well working snack bar. Tables had to be set up and ice chests and to be filled with ice and carried in.  Now, the school is turning the old storage room on the dance floor into a snack bar.

In order to make this happen, all of the furniture in the storage room will be stored in another location. Also, district maintenance workers had to cut the hole in the wall between the storage room and the dance floor for the window. They had to plaster the wall where the hole was cut and paint over it.

According to Placer Athletic Director Mark Lee, all of the proceeds made at the snack bar during a sporting event will go to the program running it with the exception of replacing the food and drinks that were sold. So if it was during a basketball game, the basketball program would get whatever money was made by the snack bar during that game, and if it was a volleyball game, the volleyball program would get the money that was made. This is a way to fundraise for whatever fees the program has to pay for during the season.

The new snack bar was paid for in donations to help cover the cost of equipment such as a new ice maker. Half of the cost was paid for in donations by the Placer cross country coach Randall Fee, and the Hillmen Foundation. The other half of the cost was paid for by donations by the community to the athletic department, especially for the snack bar.  All the construction labor was donated by district maintenance.

“I absolutely think it was a good idea putting in the snack bar, but I think we could have gotten by spending the money on something else,” said freshman, Michelle Hill.