Location for international tourists to give birth in San Francisco

Birth tourism is a practice in which women while touring different countries are pregnant and purposely give birth to their child in a different country so the child can be a citizen in that country as well as the one they live in. This is mainly popular in the countries United States, Canada, China, Korea, and Ireland, the nearest center for birth tourism to us would be in San Francisco. There are even places such as Arizona where they even have a special travel package just for pregnant women coming to visit there. The total of the packages ranges from $2,300 to $4,600 and includes a hospital stay and exams. The closest birth tourism center near Auburn is in San Francisco. The most popular country to do it in is here in the United States, some of the people who do this are illegal immigrants but most are regular tourists. Many people think giving birth on purpose in a different country should be illegal, others think its ok it is their choice. People saying it should be illegal argue the point that tourist should not be able to give birth in a different country so their Baby is a citizen in that country because it is not their country. People who are pro birth tourism argue the point that maybe the family that is doing that lives in a poor a country and they are looking for a better future for their child and maybe they want their child to be more successful. They may just want their child to be a citizen just in case. In 2010 the numbers of babies born through birth tourism were 7,719 babies.

“I think it is a bit strange that people would do that but if it isn’t illegal I guess its ok. I could see why they would do that because maybe they want there child to be in a different culture and see a different way of life from another perspective.” said Tobin Gregersen freshman.

“If there is a choice to make it legal or not I think it shouldn’t be because some parents might want there child to be able to see different cultures and things like that.” Said Nicole Christy, freshman

After doing extensive research it turns out that birth tourism is more of a business than a service. It involves lots of money even special packages and plans for birth tourism there are even special places for it but in the end it is not illegal and some people think it is wrong and others think its ok but it is still going.