Placer recieves higher API score after STAR testing in 2011-2012 school year

Each year Placer High School is evaluated among the other school’s in California. The evaluation is based on a number of statewide tests which reflect the school’s performance level. It earns a score which ranges from a low 200 to a high 1000. This score is known as the school’s Academic Performance Index (API) score. This year, Placer’s API score was an 805, an improvement from last year’s score of 803.

The school’s performance is not only measured as a whole, but as individual groups as well. Different ethnicities and disabilities are taken into account and each group receives its own score which helps make up the school wide performance score.

Placer’s API scores not only improved as a whole, but almost every sub group did as well. In fact, nine out of the eleven groups were successful in advancing their API scores.

However because two of these groups were unsuccessful in improving their scores, Placer has been put on what the state calls a “watch list”.

“We have to meet an 87% proficiency level or make safe harbor, which means we’ve shown growth,” said Assistant Principal Mrs. Barry.

Though Placer was unable to improve in all areas, the school met the vital 800 mark. This score is what the state requires schools to meet, and if the school is unable to reach this mark, it can be susceptible to program improvement.

“If you are on program improvement you have to satisfy certain requirements made by the state. The state dictates classes and takes over in schools. That’s another reason why the 800 mark is so crucial,” Barry said.

Last year special attention was given to specific sub groups in order to improve their API scores. This extra help allowed all the low scoring sub groups to improve on this year’s tests. Because of this these actions will continue this year in order to continue improving Placer’s API scores.

“Some of the score comes from the CAHSEE so our English department has been doing CAHSEE prep in all of their sophomore classes. They will also be taking the CAHSEE practice test to help improve,” Barry said.

Along with focusing on the CAHSEE, a standardized test all sophomores are required to take, after school tutoring is still being offered to help students advance their learning abilities.

While Placer is continuously working on improving, API scores have exceeded those of last year and the school is not in need of any program improvement.

“We’re proud of our students, we did a great job,” Barry concluded.