Placer hosts semi-annual blood drive

Placer hosts semi-annual blood drive

Blood Source worker takes a pint of blod from Alyssa Prior, senior, during the semi-annual blood drive at Placer on October 18, 2012.

Story by Amber Birchell, Messenger Staff Writer

PlacerHigh Schoolhosts a blood drive twice yearly that is put on by Blood Source, a local blood bank that has been coming to Placer since the mid 80’s. Placer has broken records with the amount of blood given in one drive in the past.

Blood Source collects blood throughout northern and CentralCalifornia. In fact, about 10-15% of the donations that it collects comes from high school students. All of the donations that are obtained are used for accident victims, surgery patients, and cancer patients.  The blood is also transported to other banks when is it needed.

Sal Mislang is a registered nurse who has been working with Blood Source for eight months. He  likes being able to work with people outside the hospital, and said that whether you’re a donor or just someone volunteering to help out, you are helping people in need.

“I’m happy to be part of saving lives. Everyone is a hero,” he said.

Despite all the benefits of donating blood, there is a downside. Some who give feel good mentally, but not so good physically.

“I feel really tired, but it’s cool that my blood is going to help someone,” said Placer sophomore James Andrew.

Placer biology teacher Thomas Schroeder is in charge of  organizing the event for Placer. About 200 students give a pint of blood during each drive, and every student’s blood that is given is put to use within three to four days of the donation. Schroeder himself has given blood over 100 times.

“It is a great way to give one’s self. It’s an easy thing to do but has a profound impact,” Schroeder said.

Schroeder’s motivation to give blood has inspired students to do the same. Senior Lindsay Holden has participated in the blood drive in the past. Holden explained that when she was in Schroeder’s class freshman year, he would always talk about the trauma victims in the hospitals and how much they needed blood. That inspired her to become a donor.

“Once you give blood, you feel really good because you think about the people who need it and what they go through,” explained Holden. “With the pain they [the trauma victims] go through, a little of yours doesn’t matter.”

Though the fall drive has ended, students will have another chance to donate in the spring when the recruiters come around for more donations.