Baby ads add on to senior year expenses

Senior baby ads are a big part of Placer High School’s potpourri. While many love documenting baby pictures and stories, many hesitate in purchasing, and argue that the cost is too high.

“It [the page space] is very expensive, but it is a one time deal,” said Martha Lewis, grandmother of senior Elaina Lewis.

“Money is tight, but I can afford that much,” she added.

The cost of pages range from an eighth of a page for $60 to a full page for $375. Moreover, purchasing the smallest page size costs nearly as much as buying a yearbook.

Mixed feelings are rising toward the baby ads.

“I think they’re funny and adorable, you get to make fun of people’s baby pictures,” senior Ashley Massa said.

At the same time, Massa thinks the baby ads are unbelievably expensive. “I think they’re important, but it would be easier as a senior if they were cheaper,” she added.

“With no money, there’s no option,” said senior Hunter Smothers.

Smothers agrees that the price is a little too high, and while some can financially afford it, many can not.

Yearbook advisor Dan Wilson sympathizes with the parents of the seniors and the seniors themselves, agreeing that the cost is high, but there is a reason.

“The revenue brought in by baby ads is vital to the yearbook. We lose money on every book we sell and baby ads help offset the cost,” Wilson said.

Baby ads are as expensive as they are because they cover about 20% of the yearbooks cost.

“Baby ads cover the cost of the additional pages, but also help lower the cost of the book for everyone on campus,” he added.

With the deadline for baby ad paperwork coming up, seniors and their families are under pressure in deciding whether to buy one or not. With the debate about whether they are worth the price or not, the number of people who are purchasing the space will be decided by the deadline at the end of October.