Spring musical goes unscheduled in 2012

This year there is no spring musical for drama students to perform in. Despite last year’s success, there is no one to prepare and direct a show this spring.

“I think it’s a bummer that the musical is gone.” said teacher Jason Long.

“What happened was that the people who directed last years spring musical, had and issue with the budget we gave them and we couldn’t find someone else to direct.” said Principal Peter Estathiu.

Former director Josh Brown moved to Los Angeles, and the school wanted to find someone to direct who was already involved in the school, such as a teacher.

The lack of musical is leaving students disappointed. Junior Hannah Kile said, “ Some kids at Placer are floating, just like I was before I found theater. They might not be part of a team, or popular but when they come to the theater, it’s a place where they can be themselves and have a sense of belonging.” Now, Kile has to go out of town to participate in acting with other students. “ Theater and the musical changed my life, and because there isn’t one this year, I’m extremely disappointed and sad.”

The plan for the 2012 musical was “The Pajama Game” But due to budget issues there isn’t one anymore.

“I know that everybody wants the musical. It’s the students ordeal, and I’m glad that soon we will be preparing fund-raisers for next years musical.” said ceramics teacher Toby Covich.