Placer welcomes its newest counselor Adrian Hernandez

Placer High has recently hired Adrian Hernandez as the school’s newest counselor.  

Hernandez might be the newest counselor at Placer, but he’s not new to the job. In fact, Hernandez has been in the counseling field since 2019, making this year his fifth. 

Hernandez previously worked at Liberty Ranch High School in Galt where he was a counselor.  At Stockton, he helped students at Team Charter, a school that accepts kids from grades kindergarten to eighth grade. In Sacramento, he also worked at Options at Youth, which is an independent study charter high school. All of these schools are in California Hernandez said that he enjoyed all of the schools but he especially liked Liberty Ranch. Of course, his new favorite high school is Placer. 

Hernandez stated that he really enjoys being a counselor.  He especially enjoys the balance between academics and sports. Hernandez said, “ Placer has a high standard for academics and preparing students for life after high school in their potential careers and colleges. I enjoy the sports culture here at Placer High because the school, staff, and the band rallies behind the teams to win!”

As for the students at Placer, Hernandez jokingly said that they were terrible which showed his sense of humor. 

“They are funny, and smart,” said Hernandez.  “The students at Placer are very spirited and many of them play sport which I am into.”

Hernandez also said that he likes spending his time outdoors, like many of the students at Placer.  

Hernandez considers himself a family guy who likes to spend a ton of time with his three kids. When he’s not spending time with his kids, he loves to lift weights, play sports, and play the popular video game, Call of Duty. 

One thing that Hernandez mentioned that people may not know about him is that he almost joined the FBI and that he almost drowned at Newport Beach while bodysurfing.  He is also the first one in his family to graduate from college. 

Many students at Placer see Hernandez as both an understanding and nice counselor.

“He has etiquette, he’s professional and chill at the same time,” according to Dilmer Saenz-Gonzalez, a student that Hernandez counsels.

Saenz-Gonzalez added that Hernandez helped him a lot and guided him on things he needed to do.

“My favorite thing is his personality,” said Saenz-Gonzalez.

Hernandez counsels students whose last names begin with H to Z.