Questions stir if Teacher Aids are really necessary

For some being a teacher’s aide means a daily dose of paperwork and red pens, but for others, it is all about Taco Tree runs and long naps on the classroom floor.

In some cases a T.A. can be a blessing to a teacher. For example, they can organize a classroom, grade papers, and complete any task a teacher may need done.

“I do a lot of projects for advanced mechatronics, I help create units of instructions such as a solar tracker and a robotic arm,” said sophomore Mason Sage, a T.A. for James Anderson’s tech essentials class.

Aides like Sage benefit the classroom they work in, making a teacher’s job a little easier.

“I have my T.A.’s do a variety of clerical work to help administer my classes as well as directly working with students to facilitate learning,” said tech teacher James Anderson.

However, there are many who have witnessed the infamous lazy T.A., those that are unable to carry out even the smallest of tasks and only adds to the teacher’s workload.

“Sometimes T.A.’s are more work than the students in class because they think they are entitled to special privileges. Some T.A.’s have no intention of helping a teacher, they just want free time,” saidAnderson.

Whether helpful or unproductive, a question always looms over the job of a T.A., are they necessary?

“They are, otherwise teachers would be booked with work to do,” said junior Cassie Clarkson.

“In most academic classes they’re necessary because they help the teacher with daily operations and keeping organized on grading, but otherwise it’s just a waste,” said art teacher Tim Johnson.

This also starts the debate if T.A.’s should grade student work. Accusations of biased or incorrect grading can sometimes occur when a T.A. is evaluating student work.

Clarkson believes that important student work should be graded by the teacher, while smaller assignments of lesser value can be handled by a teacher aide.

Some teacher’s avoid conflicts like this by prohibiting any students from being their T.A. While some teachers might enjoy having an extra helping hand, others, such as the art teachers, prefer it that way.

“Art doesn’t allow T.A.’s, that’s just an extra body in class,” said Johnson.

Students choose to T.A. for different reasons. Some, like Sage became an aide to assist in classroom projects, while others such as Clarkson do so to help out teachers. Either way, most teachers are happy to have an aide to help them out.

“I’m happy to have T.A.’s, they’re an indispensable part of the learning experience provided in my program,” said Anderson.