Inappropriate internet posts result in negative consequences

There has always been a struggle against drugs and alcohol in high schools, but with the advancement of modern technology, modern day drinking and smoking has been glorified by social media websites.

“I think it’s disgusting and immature,” said Jenna Farmer, junior, regarding pictures and posts about drinking, smoking and otherwise irresponsible behavior.

However, despite the negative stigma attached to the act, there have been numerous reports of Placer students posting pictures of themselves in a very risqué and inappropriate manner. In fact, there are over two million pictures on Instagram with a hash tag drunk, many of which are posted by people under twenty one years of age.

While there is a stigma given to those who post inappropriate pictures on the internet, everyone has a different perspective.

“They just want to get attention any way they can get it, even if it demoralizes them,” said Farmer.

But to others, it isn’t such a controversial issue.

“It’s their lives, it really doesn’t bother me unless it is a close friend,” said Philecia Billingsly, junior.

While many people have different perspectives on this, it is easy to assume that these students do not realize that their actions have real and almost immediate consequences, especially now that employers and colleges are requesting usernames and passwords to verify that students are not engaging in poor behaviors.

“In their efforts to vet applicants, some companies and government agencies are going beyond merely glancing at a person’s social networking profiles and instead asking to log in as the user to have a look around,” wrote Manuel Valdes and Shannon McFarland of the Huffington Post.

Social media content has also been a factor in college admissions, and so it is important now more than ever that students are diligent that what they put on the internet is appropriate and responsible. This too has become a large topic of debate.

Some may say that it is important for schools to get to know potential students before admitting them on campus.

“With colleges, it’s understandable, because you don’t want someone in your school if they are a secret drug dealer,” agreed Billingsly.

Although, there are others too that disagree completely.

“Is it an invasion of privacy? Yes. Do I think it’s good for schools to get to know you? Yes. But do I think it is right? No,” said Farmer.

Synonymous with Farmer’s opinion, there are many lawyers who are fighting this request saying that it is an outright invasion of privacy.

“It’s akin to requiring someone’s house keys,” said Orin Kerr, a George Washington University law professor who says that it is “and egregious privacy violation.”

There will always be a battle of underage drinking, but now there too will be a fight for privacy on the internet. It is imperative now more than ever, with colleges and even employers looking at Facebook, that students are careful and aware of what they post on the internet.