There’s more to teacher’s lives than just teaching

Photo credit: Steve Hannon

The dictionary defines it as anything that one has intense desire, strong affection, or pure enthusiasm for. It’s that unique activity that brings one wholesome joy, and always leaves them wanting more. It is one’s passion, and at the end of the day, we all have at least one.

Students at Placer are lucky to be surrounded by teachers with some pretty incredible passions. For many teachers, their top interest would be education; however, asking about their hobbies outside of school resulted in many intriguing stories.

Let’s start in the science department with Mr. Janus, a teacher who finds his passion in Kiteboarding.

“When the wind is blowing, it’s all I can think about,” Janus said.

Kiteboarding, an intense water surface sport, has been defined as a combination of wakeboarding, windsurfing, surfing, paragliding, and gymnastics all in one. It is a jaw dropping sport in which the athlete is connected to both a board and a kite which he manipulates in order to perform mid-air tricks above the water. Examples of Kiteboarding can be found on YouTube.

“That’s my favorite, doing the spins and flips” Janus said, going on to explain how kiteboarding is a relatively low-impact sport. While he did admit to breaking a couple ribs after landing wrong on his board, the sport in general is easy on one’s joints; mainly because of the weight the kite can take off their legs.

Overall, Kiteboarding is an awe-inspiring activity.

Up the stairs from Janus’s room, Psychology Teacher Jason Long can be found. While you might know of his love for teaching, or drama, or even noticed his affection for drumming from the pictures in his room, his passions remain greater yet. Whether it be his European style board games, or the simple pleasures of the outdoors, Jason partakes in it all.

Jason also knows a thing or two about pursuing a passion, considering his four years drumming for the Blue Man Group all began with an audition in San Francisco. His current pursuit is getting his fantasy novel published, the first part of an entire trilogy.

Long encourages students to chase what makes them happy, and try to blend that passion into their livelihood.

“No matter what your passion is, try to make that your job” said Jason, who is a living example of his own words.

Moving on to the English department one meets English teacher Mrs. Udall, who is very passionate about trail running and hiking.

Udall, along with her team “Too much Taco Tree”, competed in the Rag Nar Relay, which took them from San Francisco to Napa as a team. Ragnar is an overnight relay race made up of 6-12 individuals per team. It takes each group across 200 miles of the country’s most scenic terrain and challenges the limits of each contestant.

Three years ago, Udall found herself at the top of Mt. Whitney, driven by her passion for hiking. Almost 15,000 feet up, the hike was no small achievement. This goes to prove that while a passion can start small, it can grow into something amazing with the right amount of determination.

“It is great to set a difficult challenge for yourself, and set smaller goals to achieve it” Udall said.

In addition, a trip to lower campus locates agricultural teacher Shannon Spears. Being an agricultural teacher, it is only natural that Spears would find her passion amongst horses and guns. While her deepest passion is her family, next on her list is her horses.

Before having kids, Spears was competitive in cutting and reining patterns with her horses, ranking fifth in the nation for cutting. Beginning in 4-H, Spears followed her passions and eventually became competitive at Cal Poly, joining the Cal Poly International Show Horse Association.

Beyond horses, Spears also enjoys target shooting, commenting about how she could shoot a quarter with her .22 riffle.

“It’s my own little thing, a lot like yoga is for other people” Spears said.

After only four teachers, it’s obvious that Placer High School is full of teachers with hidden talents and intriguing passions. Next time you have a chance, ask your teacher what they love to do; you never know what you might have in common.