Placer students help coach the Junior Hillmen

Placer Junior Hillmen, a volunteer organization, is an opportunity for Placer students to coach younger children in football and cheer. These children, aged 7-14, are most like likely going to be Placer students when they reach high school age. The coaches are a mixture of players’ parents and student coaches.

From the Placer Junior Hillmen website: “Each year we rely on our families to complete their 10 volunteer hours as well as participate in fundraisers to help support the PJH program. Money raised in the established fundraisers help pay for the yearly costs to run a successful youth sports program for the kids.” each athlete and their family must complete 10 volunteer hours to participate.

Many of these volunteers are football players and cheerleaders currently attending Placer. Some of them volunteer because they plan to coach when they are adults, and some are helping their family fulfill their volunteer requirements.

Cheerleaders from Placer’s varsity cheer squad are the most involved, with several girls coaching the lower ranks in coalition with the junior hillmen parents. This group includes seniors Allicen Goodrich and Kelsey Robinson, Juniors Reagan Decker and Anna Rae, Sophomores Logan McGourty and Carly Cozad, and one freshman, Kayci Hedden.

“When I was an incoming freshman at Colfax, the league president asked me to instruct. And I did it and I liked it and thought I would do it again. When I came to Placer, I decided I wanted to continue doing it when they asked if anyone wanted to. I like seeing the kids, helping them, and having an effect on their lives. I enjoy seeing the smiles on their faces when they learn something new, and essentially I just like giving back.” Goodrich responded when asked why she likes to coach in Placer Junior Hillmen Cheer.

Football players at Placer, usually one or two a year, also coach the football players.

“I coach Placer Junior Hillmen because it’s fun to coach, it gives me something to do, and I enjoy helping out. Also, it gives me more time with my dad, as he coaches too,” commented sophomore Justin Walsh, the only football player coaching the Junior Hillmen this year who started in the Junior Hillmen in seventh grade and currently starts at left tackle for Placer’s junior varsity.

There are five levels in Placer Junior Hillmen for both cheerleaders and football players: Mighty Mites,(ages 7-8), Jr. Peewees,(ages 9-10) Peewees,(11-12) Jr. Midgets,(13 year olds) and Midgets(14 year olds) and all of the teams play on saturdays.