How to make homecoming the best week on the Hill

It’s closing in on us, creating excitement among the school, and it’s about to take over an entire week of school; it’s Homecoming week! Wouldn’t it be awesome to have your class unify and win the spirit jug this year? Maybe Homecoming isn’t your thing though, or you have no idea how to make the most of it. With a little change in your pocket and a lot of creativity, any student can express their homecoming spirit.

From October 1st to October 6th, students will have the opportunity to expose their most obnoxious cheers and ridiculous clothes.

With an entire week of dress-up days, it’s no wonder why a student might have a difficult time scavenging for good deals and unique ensembles.

Monday will be Red, White, and Blue day; the perfect opportunity to wrap yourself up in some good ‘ol American pride. Tuesday’s color day, one of the easiest dress up days of the week that identifies each class and also the infamous Powder Puff game that night. Super Hero day will be zooming in quick on Wednesday, when students can bust out their best cape and spandex, but no masks, sorry guys! Placer will be transported back in time on Thursday for Decades day and Friday is the biggest day of all, Green and Gold Day.

“I like the atmosphere the most, everyone is excited and super spirited; everyone is happy about homecoming,” commented senior Jalen Lewis

Although the powder puff game, rallies, decorations, football games, and dance allow for six days of craziness and spirit, the way you dress throughout the week can stir up some excitement as well.

“It’s nice to be apart of something, I dress up for all the days, go to the Powder Puff game, cheer at the rallies and the football game,” stated senior Kerry McCullough

Thrift stores should be the first place to check out for quirky, inexpensive pieces to get your costume started. Salvation Army, Goodwill, and other second hand stores throughoutAuburnwill without a doubt provide the best options for Homecoming dress up days. Even digging through your parents closets can be beneficial in the search for the most authenticate “Decades Day,” outfit.

Having a plan of attack for dress up days will ensure a complete and kick-butt look to impress your fellow classmates. Shopping two weeks in advance will give you a better chance to find what you’re looking for and put you ahead of the game!

“Thursday is my favorite day because each class dresses up differently, it’s a competition, but there’s a feeling of unity,” stated McCullough.

If this ends up being last minute, then by all means search through your own closet, but with an open mind of course! Don’t worry about looking dorky or not put together, Homecoming week is about uniting as a school and making total fools of ourselves in the process.

Along with dress up days, also poses the question, “What do I wear to the dance?!” Have no fear; this year’s theme is semi-formal which means you can show up in your fanciest tux or comfiest jeans if you want to. The choice is up to you, but keep in mind that the decorations will be leftover from the Green and Gold rally, why not continue the spirit and arrive in style in a gold sequined dress!

“I’m going to wear a dress with heels, something simple, but pretty,” stated sophomore Paige Black.

Making the most out of Homecoming Week isn’t just about participating in dress up days; it’s about showing off your class pride and upholding Placer traditions.

Rally days are held on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday during Homecoming Week and each year it’s an unending cycle of plastering the gym with decorations and spending quality time with peers.

Tension mounts between the classes as they battle it out to see who can come out on top to win the ever-present, “Spirit Jug.” It may be a spray painted gold water jug, but this prized item of spirit seniority symbolizes the core values of pride, unity, and integrity at Placer. It’s not only an honor to win Jug, but the process to earn such a prize is exciting as well.

“Don’t be afraid to dec yourself out and be completely crazy because you will be respected, don’t be too cool for school,” urged senior Brandon Barry.

Most importantly though, this week gives every student the opportunity to display how proud they are to be a Placer Hillman. Don’t shy away from participating in as many Homecoming activities as possible, the more the merrier, and a great time is guaranteed. Hope to see you all at the game Friday, October 5that 7:30 p.m. for Placer’s Varsity football game against Foothill to root on the boys, check out the spectacular half time show, and watch as the Homecoming queen and king are crowned!

Remember to go all out and show how excited you are to be students at Placer, it gets a little crazy, but we wouldn’t want it any other way.

“Homecoming will be what you put into it,” commented Lewis.