The Trail From A Boy Scout To An Eagle Scout And The Effect On The Community

Being a Boy Scout and becoming an Eagle Scout is something that many people do not appreciate. Becoming an Eagle Scout is a long process that requires years of dedication.

To become an Eagle Scout you must rise through the ranks; Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, and Life must be completed in order to start working on acquiring the rank of Eagle and earning twenty-one merit badges at the least.

To be a Boy Scout “It involves commitment and teamwork,” said Cody Handcock an Eagle Scout from Troop 287 and senior at Placer High. Scouts work together on outings, service project, and Eagle Scout project to accomplish goals and lean how to lead individually.

Many people think being a Boy Scout is easy. “It involves a lot of hard work and time,” commented Samuel Queen, a Boy Scout in Troop 277 and sophomore at Placer High. Queen continued, “Boy Scouts aren’t lazy; if you want to be a true Boy Scout it takes hard work and dedication. Hopefully it will be worth it for colleges and future jobs.”

Some benefits of being an Eagle Scout are appearances on college and job apps. It is also highly recognized by the military.

“When I found out I can get paid more in the military for having it,” announced Luke Cardelli, an Eagle Scout of Troop 277 and senior at Placer High, when asked when he decided he wanted to be an Eagle Scout.

Experiences in Scouts can be life changing. “Without being a Boy Scout I wouldn’t have been exposed to the outdoors,” added Handcock, whose Senior Project is backpacking fifteen miles round trip on a trail named The Lost Coast.

“The hardest part when you first start is the backpacking trips,” Queen stated.

“I just know a lot more and being an Eagle Scout helps me a lot in college and jobs,” Answered Cardelli when asked how his life was affected by Scouts.

“I will always have a greater love for the outdoors,” added Handcock.

Being in Boy Scout can also create great memories. “The trip when we went to the Moaning Caverns that was my favorite. We repealed down into a cave, it was one of my first outings, also dessert camp shooting guns. Got a lot of bad memories; like the time we went snow camping, we got very wet and very cold, and it didn’t work out too well. It was miserable,” tells Queen.

In the end the years of dedication, teamwork, and learning were well worth it to the now Eagle Scouts. “Let’s put it this way, I’m happy it’s over,” Cardelli ended.