Placer needs better STAR testing scores, quickly!

STAR testing is something that most people dislike to do: three hours of one single test that some people don’t take seriously enough and don’t try at. However, if Placer High School does any worse on the STAR testing, the state of California is going to take control of the school. Once the state takes control, there are going to be some serious cutbacks, including electives.

Lately these past few years, Placer High School hasn’t performed up to par with its STAR testing scores. Students have been purposely doing poorly on their test one year then do well the next year so they have a chance of winning prices, such as a reserved parking spot.

STAR testing has been here ever since students started kindergarten; some students don’t even know what STAR testing is about, so they don’t have the experience or don’t realize how important it is.

“It is important because it’s how schools are measured by state standards and by federal standards and they do a similar school ranking, measuring size and demographic,.” said STAR testing expert, Kim Barry.

“If we continue to not meet the target goals, the state says we need to do something to help the students catch up with other students who do well on the test,” stated Barry

If Placer fails to score up to standard, the state is going to cut electives, such as Welding and Woodworking, and replace those electives with shadow classes for math, English, and other subjects that students have a hard time with. If this happens, the students who actually try on the test have to suffer for the other students who don’t care.

“Students aren’t really trying but if you actually take the time to do it, it’s pretty easy,” said junior Karla Ferreyra.

Students don’t agree that the STAR test is important to the school at all because it doesn’t affect them in any way.

“It’s not really that important because it really doesn’t go to our grades,” commented Ferreyra
            Placer High School used to be known for its high STAR scores. As the years went by, scores decreased year after year with the lack of students’ motivation to actually do the STAR test.

Students need to try their best on the test and actually care about it. If this school continues to fall in scores, students can say goodbye to fun electives and welcome shadow math, science, and English classes.