Breaking Down The Walls bring unity throughout Placer

On February 2, 2011, motivational speaker, Phil Boyte came to Placer to motivate students to treat each other with kindness and respect. Breaking Down the Walls is a program that promotes openness and understanding towards others.

“It’s a unification program and bringing everyone together who are different, but alike, it’s hard to hate someone whose story you know,” said senior, Adrianna Pass.

Pass brought together this program for her senior project along with senior Mackenzie McGown. In the beginning of this process though there was an issue of money to bring the program to Placer. Pass and McGown fundraised hundreds of dollars in order to make Breaking Down the Walls happen.

“We had to present our ideas to clubs around auburn, like the Rotary Club, for donations,” stated Pass.

Certain students participated in workshops throughout the school day, workshops that encouraged students to express themselves and be open and trusting with their groups. 300 students were recommended to participate by Pass, McGown, and faculty members on campus.

“All the leaders did a good job, they were encouraging and supportive. It was cool having an authority figure who was one of our peers as well,” stated participant of Breaking Down the Walls, sophomore Lauren Taber.

On Thursday and Friday of last week, students took a day off from class to break out of their shell and get to know their peers.

“I think it’s a great idea. Kids get to something more than just sit all day with pen and paper, and do something they don’t normally get to do,” said Principal Peter Efstathiu

Several students volunteered to be apart of Breaking Down the Walls, “We had over 100 kids sign up after the speech. It affected a lot of students,” stated Efstathiu. Not only did Breaking Down the Walls affect students after the speech, but many students agree that being part of the program changed them for the better.

“I love the fact that students who often guard themselves can be authentic,” said Breaking Down the Walls director Phil Boyte.

“I was very glad I was picked because it was a real eye-opening experience. It encouraged us to be bold with people and you shouldn’t fear people because they have an incredible story to tell,” commented Taber.

Not only did Breaking Down the Walls encourage friendliness throughout Placer, but it inspired many students to convince their friends of all the benefits of talking to new people. Not many schools get an opportunity like Placer did and can come out of it feeling rejuvenated and a better school as a whole.

“It’s about being a better human being. We lose sight of what’s important and we focus on what’s in front of us, rather than the big picture of being a good human being,” stated Efstathiu.