Eczema in High School

High school is considered to be the most challenging four years of a person’s life. Through the tough classes, peer pressure and competition in sports, high school can be challenging enough on its own. However, some students may have other struggles that limit them from doing certain things or set them apart from everyone else. One of these barriers could be a skin disease.

The most common types of skin diseases or conditions are psoriasis and eczema. They are both types of dermatitis that settle on the top layer of the skin, the epidermis. Psoriasis and eczema are each different in the sense that they have different treatments but they are connected together through their similar symptoms.

Approximately 1 in 18 people in the United States suffer from a form of eczema. The intensity of eczema dictates to what extent the person who has it, is affected.

People can be affected by eczema or any other form of skin dermatitis a number of different ways. Confidence is a major way that a person can be affected by eczema. Having peers continuously ask about the red, flaky area is a constant reminder of someone’s obvious flaws. Everyone has flaws but eczema presents prominent flaws that others tend to ask about.

Eczema can be painful for an individual who has a more severe case. Using certain soaps can sting and affect eczema. Soaps in restaurants and other public places are not as mild as they need to be for people suffering from eczema. People with eczema or psoriasis may have to carry their own soap if regular soap harms their eczema. A person might also have to bring their medication on an overnight trip which raises more questions from the people around them.

Dealing with these necessities is the everyday life for a person with eczema. In high school, it may be more difficult for a person with eczema.

In high school, people tend to be more observant of everything including skin.At such a young age, some people may feel insecure if they look any different than those around them. Not only is it considerably noticeable, but eczema is also painful and requires a lot of care.

Although there is no true cure for eczema, there are creams, lotions and other medications that can control the level of intensity of the discomfort and inflammation.

Eczema does not usually limit teenagers from doing any extracurricular activities; unless these activities include pageants or modeling. Most people with eczema can participate in most activities.

The 2006 winner of America’s Next Top Model Caridee English suffered from psoriasis for a number of years before having it clear up for good. Before being on America’s Next Top Model, English went to model castings with makeup on her legs and other places that her psoriasis covered.

. “It’s a battle. Anyone who has it has their work cut out for them. You feel icky, ugly and insecure — and ostracized, like you’re the only one who has it,” English explains in an interview with Stylelist.

Young, tall and slender, English dreamed of one day becoming a model. Her family didn’t think it was a realistic goal for someone suffering from psoriasis.
            “It was difficult for anyone to take me seriously. My family — God bless them — tried to protect me by saying that I had to choose another career. But then I landed on America’s Next Top Model, and I was like a horse out of the gate, finally living my dream,” says English. English went on to win the competition in 2006 and was proud of the determination she held all the way through.

Determination can go a long way for someone suffering from eczema. Placer senior Christina McArthur was diagnosed with eczema before she reached one month old.

“I was so young that I really didn’t know what was going on. When I got older, it didn’t really shock or surprise me,” McArthur explained. Growing up with eczema has taught McArthur the importance of taking care of one’s skin.

“Eczema has not really made my life worse in any way; it has taught me to take better care of my skin,” McArthur said.

For her senior project, McArthur wanted to do something about her frustrations towards eczema. She decided to make her own body scrub, soap and lotion that even she can use to help her eczema.

“For my paper topic, I thought about my personal experiences with eczema; and now these three simple products help me,” McArthur commented. “I have always had to use certain lotions and soaps, so I decided that I wanted to make my own soap and lotion that would smell good and help with my dry skin.” McArthur is content with her paper topic and project choice.

“I have learned that there is a lot more about eczema than the obvious. The more I have learned, the more confident I felt with my paper and my project,” McArthur added.

Eczema is a non-contagious skin disease that is found among seven and a half percent of other Americans. It can be severe or mild but beside the case, it is a painful struggle that many high school students go through every day. It can hurt confidence or keep a teenager form pursuing their dreams at a young age. However, the appearance of skin should not affect the ability of a student and who they are on the inside.