Easy tips to stay healthy during the flu season

As the cold weather creeps in, it’s a sure sign that the cold and flu season is beginning.  Every year, students and faculty miss days of school as a result of being ill.  There are many ways to prevent getting sick. 

First things first, wash your hands!  A common way to catch a cold is rubbing your eyes, nose, or mouth with germs that your hands picked up.  Germs linger over almost every surface that your hands touch so it’s important to wash them often to prevent spreading viruses and germs that can be the cause of a cold.  It’s also handy to keep hand sanitizer with you for a quick clean up. 

It’s also good to remember not to share cups and drinks with other people to stay germ free.

Secondly, adding certain foods to your diet can help prevent getting sick this season.  Garlic and a few dairy products such as yogurt and some cheeses help to boost your immune system.  Zinc, which is found in meat, chicken, peanuts and peanut butter, and Vitamin C which is in citrus fruits and juices, can also help out the immune system.

“I eat lots of fruits and vegetables to stay healthy and I rarely get sick.  Also I avoid sharing food with other people,” stated sophomore Kailee Warren.

It’s important to eat other foods that are enriched with other vitamins to help keep your body strong and defensive.  In addition to eating right, drink lots and lots of water.  And if you do get sick, ginger can help you heal faster by flushing out the virus in your body.  You can make ginger tea or just add some to your other meals to help restore you back to health. 

Part of staying healthy involves staying active.

“Going for a long run always makes me feel better,” said junior Christian Finkbeiner. 

“I run for six miles in the rain and I stay healthy,” added Warren

This doesn’t mean you have to go outside in the freezing cold everyday to exercise, just don’t sit around all day being lazy.  However, it is essential after a long day of fighting off germs and viruses to get plenty of rest so that you’ll be ready for the next day.

“Whenever I get sick I just sleep a lot and take medicine until I get better,” stated freshman Jordan Tucker.  It’s also vital to make sure you’re not too stressed out, so make sure to get an abundance of rest if you’re not feeling well.

The last thing that can help prevent you from catching the flu is simply getting vaccinated.  The flu shot was created to prevent the flu virus in people who get the shot so that is a great way to avoid getting sick.  Following these tips will help your chances of preventing a cold and help you stay healthy.