Christmas Traditions

It’s that time of year once again, as the weather cools down, the student body rolls into December and people everywhere prepare for the holiday season ahead. Many students around Placer High uphold the holiday traditions that they have celebrated since childhood.

Christmas celebrations differ greatly throughout the United States due to the variety of nationalities who have settled there. Generally, cities, towns and villages are adorned with sparkling lights and colorful decorations. Store windows are full of enticing gifts and people decorate their homes and lawns with festive lights and decorated trees. Many houses put up Christmas trees and lights for a festive look. For weeks prior to the holiday, people begin to prepare for the festivities. Gifts are bought or made and wrapped with brightly colored paper and ribbons. Greeting cards and gift packages are sent to friends and family. On Christmas Day, families traditionally gather to exchange presents, although some people exchange their gifts on Christmas Eve.

Many students around Placer High follow their own traditions during the holiday season. Christmas Eve is also a strong time to celebrate these traditions.

“Christmas Eve we go to my aunts house and eat chili after church, and we always listen to Christmas music because my mom doesn’t let us listen to anything else,” sophomore Kellyn McDonald comments.

“On Christmas Eve, my siblings and I all get me a pair of pajamas that we open.”, “I also like to read books about Santa Claus to my nieces and nephews” commented Placer Junior Codey Hancock.

“I sing Christmas carols with my mom and my sister, Makenna, while decorating our Christmas tree. We set out milk and cookies for Santa, but I pretend to be Santa and eat them,” shared junior Kailey Gaffney. “ Also, every year Makenna and I take pictures with a life-sized stuffed Santa and Mrs. Claus, and also with our horses wearing reindeer antlers”, shared junior Kailey Gaffney

A small population of Jewish Placer students celebrate the holiday of Hanukkah, an eight night celebration.

“Only my mom is Jewish, but my mom, dad and I celebrate Christmas and Hanukkah. So I get one present each night for eight nights,” Placer senior Kristin Close stated.

Unlike Close, many other Jewish families do not celebrate Christmas, because it is not within their beliefs or they are uncomfortable with the holiday. For those who don’t celebrate Christmas, December 25th is just another normal day.