‘Healthy Vs. Skinny’, a Placer students senior project

Most seniors at Placer High School decide to do their senior project on subjects such as learning how to play an instrument or how to decorate a cake. Kristin Close is not one of those seniors; she’s going above and beyond to create a model campaign for plus sized models. A plus-sized model can range from sizes 6 to 12. These plus-sized models are seen as being much healthier than main-stream, stick- thin models that put a bad image for the media by creating an unrealistic image.
“Main-stream models are unhealthy and realistic, because girls can harm their bodies”, Close comments.
Close was inspired to do this for her project by her mentor and friend Katie Halchishick, whose mother works for a modeling campaign and lives in the Los Angeles area. Halchishick and Close have never met in person, but they have been e-mailing and calling each other regularly. Halchishick inspired Close the idea to create this model campaign “Healthy vs. Skinny”.
Close plans on holding an assembly at the Placer High School auditorium on December 8th to tell students all around Placer about her project and how they can benefit from her point-of-view. Close plans on having representatives such as Nike and Zumba attend her assembly. Dove is also considering giving out gift bags consisting of soaps and shampoos. Also, the assembly will most likely be filmed by Chris Holden, the technology producer of the auditorium, and will be shown to health and P.E. classes around Placer. Halchishick is additionally going to try to get the assembly broadcasted on T.V. who has connections and is working with the producers of Ugly Betty and The Biggest Loser.
Close relates to her senior project, and feels very strongly about it.
“A lot of girls aren’t comfortable with their bodies, but they need to know that it’s okay how you are”, Close added.
She gave some girls a survey about how they feel about their bodies and a majority think they are fat and want to be a size 2. Girls can harm their bodies and develop diseases such as anorexia and bulimia in order to look like a model.
Close believes her senior project will benefit all people at Placer High School, to encourage them to stay healthy the right way is her goal. Staying healthy is a subject everyone should be concerned with; after all, the healthier you are, the better quality of life you tend to have.