Is Chivalry Dead?

Story by Madison LaRue, Editor

Watching the people of this generation, some might wonder, where has chivalry gone?  Chivalry first started in France and Germany as the code of conduct for knighthood.  It was a moral system to protect those who could not such as women, children and elders.  Now, when people think of the word ‘chivalry’ they think of respect, generosity and courtesy.  However, there is the question of how prominent chivalry really is in this time and among students at placer and in general.

Although there are students at Placer High School that do have a lot of respect some think that chivalry is lacking.  Sophomore at Placer High School, Madison Nunez explains, “I think its lacking a little bit.  Guys nowadays do not pay attention to that stuff anymore because I think it seems like our generation just doesn’t respect people as much.” 

Maddy Eagan, junior at Placer High, also thinks that chivalry is missing from this generation, “I think that there is less chivalry then there should be.  I think that it is less because women are more independent then they used to be and guys don’t think about it as much.”

The girls think that there is not enough respect but the boys think otherwise.  Ji Heng Nie, Junior at Placer says, “I think there is chivalry because I am chivalrous towards girls so it is not completely gone.”  Another junior at Placer, Adryan Kindice, agrees, “I don’t think there is a lack of it.  I just think that people tend to show it less.”

So why would there be a lack of chivalry?   “I think that people just don’t care anymore and guys think that women are just more independent and can do things themselves.  But I think it’s important because you should always have respect” states Eagan.  Nunez states, “Our generation just doesn’t seem to respect people like we used to.  And women are also just more independent.” 

Kindice explains, “We aren’t as smart as we used to be about this stuff at this time in our life.  There is less reasoning and because the whole women need to be save thing is considered sexist sometimes.” 

Nie brings up a whole other issue with this generation.  “I think it’s kind of decreasing because kids are addicted to their phones and their games and don’t pay attention as much.  Times are changing and chivalry is old school but it’s still cool.”