Placer’s lower parking lot expected to be completed in mid to late October

Photo credit: Quintin Daniels
The parking lots progress as of September sixth.

One of the most noticeable changes on Placer’s campus this year has been the lack of parking. Improvements in the parking lot have been a work in progress since
late July with a projected completion time in mid to late October.

These changes include a revamped layout, which will result in more available parking spots, improved lighting, and the removal of several trees.

According to Jeff Patton, the Director of Maintenance and Operations and Facilities for the Placer Union High School District, the project comes with a significant budget of 1.5 million dollars.

“This includes previously approved design, survey, and preconstruction fees,” added Patton.

It’s clear that this is a substantial investment in Placers infrastructure. While the completion date isn’t set in stone, there’s optimism that the parking lot will be finished around mid to late October, as indicated by Patton. This should be a relief for students and staff who’ve had to navigate the ongoing construction. In terms of immediate impacts, the ongoing construction has caused minor disruptions for students and teachers, but for Shauna Stafford it has had a negative impact on her daily. Shauna said she can no longer bring notebooks for students and when she has to drop off her kids she has to walk far to get to her class. She also walks near Placer often and is appreciative of the changes coming to the parking lot.

However, the situation is different when it comes to large football events. Mike Sabins, Placer High’s Athletic Director, shared an incident where someone parked in a driveway, blocking access for over 30 people.

These incidents show the need for improved parking facilities. One vivid example of this parking challenge was seen at the recent Del Oro Placer football game, which an estimated 3,500-4,000 people attended. The lack of parking space became painfully obvious. To address this issue, a shuttle system was put in place. What’s remarkable is that this shuttle service was offered free of charge, although it took several weeks of meticulous planning to execute effectively. The involvement of Mid Placer buses, including two that were not in use, and support from Auburn Rec were essential in making the shuttle system a reality.

As the students and staff await the completion of the lower parking lot, it’s evident that these improvements will have a positive impact on Placer’s school community. The additional parking spaces and better lighting will not only help with convenience but also safety. While construction inconveniences may persist a little longer, the promise of a more functional parking facility is on the horizon. It is hoped that these changes will address the parking challenges experienced during large events, like football games, making the overall experience smoother and more enjoyable for everyone involved.