California residents argue to have a new state created

Northern California residents wish to have the state split into two, creating a new state called 'Jefferson'

By Jacob Barnidge

Messenger Staff Writer

In California’s northern half, many people want to break away and create their own state called Jefferson.

The history of the movement goes back to 1941. It was started due to the farmers in Northern California and Southern Oregon feeling mistreated by their state government. In November 27, 1941 a group of young men stopped traffic south of Yreka and handed out proclamations for the state of Jefferson. The state was almost created but due to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and soon the American entrance into World War Two. All efforts on Jefferson were focused on the war.

The reason why the people in this self proclaimed state want a divorce from California is because of the massive under representation in the California legislature, as the liberal south usually dominates the more conservative north.

For example, the political assembly of California has a total of 80 delegates. Only 25 of those delegates are Republican. “At its heart, Jefferson is a grassroots “liberty” movement. The current strategy involves suing California in federal court over lack of representation for the north state,” Jefferson Representative Jim Davis remarked.

Some of the policies promised by Jefferson fall more in line with Republican/Libertarian ideals such as low taxes and less regulation.

“State of Jefferson would not have a personal income tax or corporate income tax. With liberal incorporation laws, the future would be wide open to technology, biotech, entertainment, and even medicine,” Davis Explained

The state also plans on having little state run agencies and government run programs like health care. When asked if Jefferson would have any state government projects like healthcare, Jim Davis replied, “If you mean Medicare for All, probably not. SOJ, as a state under the Constitution, would have to administer Medicaid (ie, Medi-Cal) and of course Medicare. SOJ will be a state of limited state government, preferring to let the people at the local level solve their problems. There will be a period of transition where the new state will have to honor contracts of California. SOJ would not have to use California’s outdated technology, instead creating state of the art solutions to manage state government. That could include a better delivery system for healthcare.”

However, the one question that has yet to be answered is whether California’s legislature will agree to let Jefferson pass.