Placer takes the field at Bear River for rivalry game

Placer’s football team is scheduled to face off against the Bear River Bruins Friday night. The Hillmen have been preparing for the rivalry game and are ready to take the field at Lake of the Pines. Although the PVL rivalry is split between three schools-Colfax, Bear River, and Placer, tonight’s football game is all about the Hillmen and the Bruins.

“Both Colfax and Bear River have good teams,” stated senior Joe Mangino. “They are well coached and they work hard; it should be a good game.”

Friday’s game has bigger consequences than most people realize; the winner of this game has a chance at clinching the PVL Title.

“This will be a very important win,” added junior Peter Denham. “We have the chance to knock off a good team in the league and give a huge boost to team morale.”

The Bear River game however, is not the only rivalry football game scheduled this year.

“We have three really big games coming up,” explained junior Isaac Brahce, “The Big Three-Bear River, Colfax, and Lincoln.”

Placer students and football team are not the only ones pumping up for Friday’s game; the Bruins are expected to make quite a showing on their home field. When asked their opinions of the impending game, many Bear River students jumped to the defense of their team.

“The Hillmen are going down!”

Just like those at Placer, Bear River students are confident in their team’s win and eventual claim at the league title.

“Yeah, I’m confident of our team’s win,” added a student at Bear River. “Placer is horrible and is going to lose on our field!”

These playfully aggressive sentiments flood the halls at Bear River and a “Dress Like a Hillmen Day” is scheduled for the night of the game. This Bear River dress up day is a mock of Placer’s mascot that many Bruins don’t understand; Bear River fans will attend Friday night’s game dressed as hillbillies and in mock of Placer High School.

“What is a Hillmen?” remarked one Bear River student.
There is no doubt that the Hillmen have every intention of demonstrating exactly what a Hillmen is at Friday’s game, but the Bruins will have numbers. Placer’s Gold Mine has a huge effect on the attitude of the players.

“It helps a lot,” said junior Eddie Vanderdoes, “especially at away games. It lets us know that we have all that support.”

Denham agrees, “A big and enthusiastic Gold Mine is very important. When the fans up the intensity it gives the team a confidence boost and keeps us going.”

Although many Placer and Bear River students believe that Colfax is their biggest rival and the team to beat, only one team will emerge tonight victorious and have a real chance at beating the Falcons for the PVL Title.