Placer Vault hosts Día de los Muertos

Placer’s annual Día de los Muertos celebration organized by Placer Vault, took place, on Thursday, November 2,

Many Placer students and families attended and enjoyed live music, activities, and good food. 

“I’m really glad that the school and the community have a feast to come together to celebrate together, because I think the community really wants that,” said Spanish teacher Susana Muñoz. Every year, she makes sure to explain the cultural significance of Dia de los Muertos to her students.

According to Muñoz, since Placer’s celebration first took place about 5 years ago, it has garnered more of an attendance from the Auburn community. Many students bring their families and friends, introducing more and more people to the celebration with every new class of Freshmen.

Mi Tierra Taqueria catered to the event. There were student-run craft tables, such as flower-crown making and face-painting, and games like cornhole. Local mariachi band ‘Trio Los Embajadores’ played at the event.

El otero – “the corn guy” – was also at the celebration. According to attendees, his corn stand is one of the highlights of the event every year.

Día de los Muertos originates from an ancient Aztec holiday which was refined into the two-day celebration by the Spanish Catholic Church. The Catholic holidays All Saints Day and All Souls Day were celebrated on November 1 and 2. Día de los Muertos is a fusion of these two holidays largely observed on November 2, but some celebrations can last longer. Common traditions for Dia de los Muertos are cleaning the graves of loved ones and setting up ofrendas (altars) with pictures and food. Homes, altars and graves are decorated with banners, candles, clay sugar skulls, and cempasúchil flowers (marigolds).

While this holiday is often regarded as a Mexican tradition, it is also celebrated in many other Latin American countries, as well as the United States.

“All Spanish speaking countries celebrate Dia de los Muertos, some do it more intensely than others, but the meaning behind this cultural celebration is that all beings will depart from this planet some day,” said Muñoz.

According to Muñoz, students enjoy having a holiday to talk about those that have passed.

“Having time to mourn the people who once lived, helps us understand the legacy that they have left behind. We all matter,” she said.

See pictures below.