New generation growing more slowly than previous

Baby boomers are planning to retire and are counting on the weak, new generation, but is the new generation able to fill and maintain the workplace? Our population is declining do to population aging, lower levels of immigration, declining fertility rates largely related to abortion according to the Population Reference Bureau.

Population studies show that 2.1 children are needed per household to maintain a steady population. Today there are roughly 2.0 children per household.

The new generation is a dying breed, the cause… abortion. Nearly one half of all pregnancies in the United States are unintended. And one half of those pregnancies end in abortion according to the Guttmacher Institute.

Abortion’s is the terminating of pregnancy by removing a fetus or embryo form the uterus. Abortion kills 234 infants per 1,000 live births by way of just medical and surgical abortions alone.

Who has abortions? Teens and young women. In a study in 2000, 75% of all abortions were by women 20 and under. One million teenagers become pregnant each year and 78% of the abortions are unintended. 23% of those babies are aborted. 25% of women who had an abortion said that it just wasn’t the right time to have a baby.

Abortion can also stack up some costly bills depending on the procedure used. An average abortion can cost from $350-550.

Still this is a far cry from a hospital birth which, without insurance, can cost between $500 to $4,500. This all depends on how dangerous the surgery. Complicated births or C-sections can cost around $7,000.

This leads many to consider abortion to avoid the bill.

It’s also very easy; there are about six abortion clinics in the Sacramento area. Some are free clinics others are not.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics if in 1973 abortion had never been legalized more than 17 million people would be employed. As a result these workers would have raised $400 billion.

Could this be classified as a population crisis? Marriage and Family Therapist Intern, Joy Lindbloom thinks it isn’t.

“No, I think it’s more of a moral crisis, people don’t value life like they once did.”

She recalls “When I was pregnant with my first born child I was so excited but I hadn’t been to the doctor yet so I called Kaiser Permanente to ask what the next step would be.” “I was shocked when the nurse said, decide if you want to keep it.” “I was horrified how “normal” it has become to ask if as a mother she wants to keep her child.”

When asked “Should abortion remain legal?” 7 out of 10 doctors said yes according to a poll conducted by Medical Economics.

Abortion is one of the safest procedures in medicine with few side effects if performed by a qualified individual and if done early on in the pregnancy. Still unsafe abortions annually take 70,000 mothers worldwide.

With abortions and with the economy still licking its wounds is it possible for the new generation to plant their feet?

As the heated pro-life vs. pro-choice battle’s rage only time will tell if the new generation will be able to fill the workplace; and if they’ll be able to replace the aging baby boomers.