Freshman play up to varsity despite the protests of some

Some students are upset that freshmen are on the varsity team, but some students could care less. In the end it is the coach’s decision on what they is best for the team.

The question of if freshman should be allowed on varsity has been a question ever since the first freshmen made varsity.

A member ofPlacerHigh School’s track team, Marcella Baker is one among many who thinks that freshmen should be on the team if they are good enough.

“If they have enough talent I don’t think age should hold you back” said cardio health teacher Marcia McKenzie.

“It gives them a chance to grow more. It gives them the drive to go out and do something” said a freshman on the varsity soccer team, Mikayla Lopez.

“It is very interesting how skilled the girls play. It is a challenge, it makes me want to play more because of the challenge” said Lopez.

However, some seniors might feel that young, first year high school students are invading there space.

If freshmen try out for varsity and they don’t make the team, some people don’t feel bad.

“I don’t think it is unfair for the freshmen because they have another place to go” said Baker.

“I don’t think every freshman has the talent to make the team. It depends on what the varsity team needs” added McKenzie.

Some people think the skill and ability that freshmen have to earn a spot on the varsity

team is amazing. Some people think that the varsity team is just for juniors and seniors. Baker finds it unfair for freshmen to make the varsity team and have the seniors get kicked off even if the seniors are better.

“It depends on how good the seniors are. If they are not even trying and standing around it makes them look like they don’t want to be there said Lopez.

Some coaches believe that anybody who has the skill should be pulled up.

“If the freshman has more talent than the senior then it is the coach’s responsibility to make the best team” said McKenzie.

“I am not going to pull freshmen up if I am not going to play them” said varsity soccer coach, Steve Cook.

There are always those who will have their opinion , but ultimately the final decision on freshmen playing up to varsity is up to the coach.