High hopes on the hill for varsity football

This fall season is looking up on the hill for Placer varsity football. Placer (8-0) is trailed closely by 7-1 upstart Center and Bear River, which holds a 6-2 record though they have lost to the two front runners. Lincoln, which won the PVL three years ago and Colfax, which has won the past two titles, are both 4-4. Foothill (1-7) is in last place. If green and gold continue on their path of domination, football could run off with the league title a feat that has not been done in 14 years.

“We definitely had a tougher schedule this year, but we had the best start with 8-0 and clinched playoffs for the 5th year in a row,” stated Placer varsity football head coach Joey Montoya.

Montoya has an insurmountable amount of enthusiasm for this year’s team. The boys have worked hard this season and it certainly holds true in their game performance. Placer even had a 48-30 win over Central Catholic, who beat St. Mary’s, a national power, to open the season.

Placer vs. Foothill (Sacramento): 68-14

Placer vs. Casa Roble: 63-21

Placer vs. Woodcreek: 54-14

Placer vs. Central Catholic: 48-30

Placer vs.Yuba City: 42-33

Placer vs.Bear River: 14-7

Placer vs.Lincoln: 10-7

Placer vs. Foothill (Palo Cedro/Redding): 42-14

The Hillmen, averaging 42 points and 434 yards of offense per game, boast many offensive threats, most of them at the running back position. Senior quarterback Peter Denham has thrown for 879 yards with ten touchdowns and four interceptions. His passer rating is currently 101. Placer’s five talented rushers have racked up 2570 rushing yards through five contests. Sophomore Logan Markstein, pulled up from the junior varsity just days before the first game, has 260 rushing yards and scored his first varsity touchdown against Woodcreek. Senior Michael Robinson has rushed for 515 yards and 9 touchdowns while fellow fullback Cameron Scott, a junior, has rushed for 652 yards and 7 touchdowns. The offense’s main sources of production are senior Isaac Brahce and junior Todd Valliere, who have 509 and 507 rushing yards respectively and have accounted for a combined 7.93 yards per carry and 14 touchdowns.

“Our goal is just to prolong the season as much as we can and to win the last game,” added Montoya.

If Placer does succeed in taking a league victory, it will be the first in Montoya’s head coaching career. The last time the Hillmen won league was in 1998 when football was still being coached by Mike Sabins and John Hilton. Competition may have been fierce in recent years, but Placer has retaliated and is ready to prove their dedication and worth on the field.

“We are a lot stronger this year, it would be great to win league,” stated Montoya.

Teams must have at least two league wins to qualify for playoffs beginning November 9th. Placer has a total of three league victories and may already have playoffs in their pocket. However, the Hillmen must keep their composure, because next week they face Center who beatBear River 36-0.

With only two games left to determine playoff seeding, Placer football hopes to see you in the Goldmine.

“The goldmine definitely plays a bigger role than they realize, the players feed off of their positive energy and it helps them perform,” added Montoya.

Dress in your best green and gold attire and support our Hillmen this Friday; it will be a game worth watching!