Students stressors: upkeeping grades with athletics and jobs

Junior Hallee Ralls is a two sport athlete and holds a job at Tangp.

Student athletes have a great responsibility weighing on their shoulders. Between excelling in their sport and performing in the classroom, a lot is expected of them as far as completion of their duties.

Life as a student athlete can be difficult and keep one very busy. At some instances, there is not a lot of free time for students to have fun such as hanging out with friends. On top of that, the academics can be very demanding. Dealing with the stress of homework and attending practices, can have exhausting effects.
Can one even consider the idea of taking on another obligation to add more stress to the package? Like a job perhaps?

There are students, believe it or not, here at Placer High taking on the mission to tackle the difficulties of working a job, going to school and playing a sport. Balancing school, sports and a job can show the extreme dedication one has to work hard.

“Having a job is really stressful,” said student Halle Ralls. She is currently on the cross country team, does track, and is working at Tango the yogurt shop.
“I couldn’t even make it to 1st period the other day because I got home so late. I didn’t even get to finish a project I had due,” Ralls added.

“There isn’t much time to hangout with friends, but if I can I’m usually too tired and just want to relax,” stated Ralls. One must make the decision between school work, or sleep.

High School is a short period of time to be able to have the leisure of being with friends and getting involved in school activities. Having a job could possibly interfere with those things. After High School students will be working their whole lives, and right now is the prime time to enjoy their youth.

There can also be some positives to having such responsibilities. It could teach one the ways of life at an early age and being exposed to the working world could later help one in a job situation.

“ I always made time for things I wanted to do,” said Swimmer and Gym employee Ben Richardson.

“At first it was hard and I received D’s and F’s, but I found a way and pulled it together. Having a Job and doing a sport taught me how to manage my time. I always made time for the things I wanted to do,” added Richardson.

Being a student athlete and working a job can be overwhelming and stressful. It could expose one to the working world and help one to earn money and learn some skills as well.