Football team changing logo to help team fly again

The image of a bulky football player, burning across a field at full speed is not complete without an air of intimidation; one that is undeniably brought together by one hardy symbol of football toughness: the helmet. Recently, rumors have been swirling through the school that this coming season, the design on the mighty helmets will be revised.

“The rumors are true,” confirms head varsity coach Joey Montoya, “I have been encouraged by a few of my assistant coaches to make a change with our helmets,”

“We are considering putting the ‘Wings’ logo on our helmet similar to those of Michigan (the college),” Montoya divulged.

This design was inspired not to represent anything regarding our fearless Hillmen mascot, who admittedly is not associated with a winged creature in any way, but rather the highly effective Wing-T offense run by our Hillmen footballers.

“We run the Wing-T offense and those helmet logos were originally created for that offense,” stated Montoya.

This is an understandable choice, as the offense has lead to an impressive wins and losses record for the Hillmen. Just as veterans proudly don Purple Heart medals, when the young men of the Placer Football program storm the field for a gritty four-quarter battle, the crest of the Wing-T offense will accompany them on their helmets. “It’s basically the calling card of our offense,” said Montoya.

The current look of the helmets has not been deemed outdated or obsolete, but a little something new has been decided necessary. “We love the look we have now, but we feel it will make us look even better,” he conveyed. There is no debate that when it comes to issues involving high-schoolers, looking better is always a goal to be strived for. “A sharp looking uniform plays into the psyche of both our players and those who we go against,” Montoya disclosed, “You look good, you feel good, and you play good”. There is no doubting the fact that Placer Football helmets are known for proving our players ready- ready to score, ready to hit, ready to win.

As with any change that is brought about, there are some who disagree with this impending “helmet overhaul”. According to Montoya, the general feeling towards the change has been about 70 percent positive, and only 30 percent otherwise.

“Most of the players and coaches really like it. However, some that disagree feel that way because other schools around like Del Oro and Nevada Union already has it, ” he revealed. “But it is mostly positive.”

While the changes would obviously be noticeable, there would be only a minor change in the budget of the program. There would not be entirely new helmets ordered or change made to the colors; there would simply be a charming winged decal added to either side.