MLB Playoffs

It’s that time of year again – the compelling ends to the regular 162 game season of major league baseball. With less than two weeks worth of games left on the regular MLB schedule it is still up for grabs, which teams will come out on top. First of all how do the MLB teams even get to the playoffs? There are four teams that make the playoffs in each league. There are three divisions in each league and the three teams that wind up in first place in their division make the playoffs. The fourth team to make the playoffs is the team that did not win their division but has the best overall record of all the teams that did not win their division. That team is called the ‘wildcard’ team.  At this point only one team has clinched a playoff spot, while three divisions consist of two or more teams that are deadlocked in a struggle to win the division. This season there is the potential for no teams to finish with 100 wins. That would be the first time that has happened since 2007.

Currently in the American league the powerhouse Yankees (ninety two wins fifty nine losses) are ahead of the Tamp Bay Rays (ninety wins sixty one losses).  In the national league Philadelphia is in the lead with (ninety two wins sixty one losses). For the wild card spot for the AL the Tampa Bay Rays are in first. In the NL the Atlanta Braves are in first ahead of the giants by one game.

This season had its share of strange surprises. From the 14-1 record and 2.27 ERA for Udalbo Jimenez the pitcher Colorado to the nearly three perfect games pitched within thirty days of each other. With such an exciting season unfolding in front of us it’s hard to tell which teams will clinch their division and what teams will take the wild card. However we can still predict what teams will be facing off in the playoffs.

For the AL many people have predicted that the Rays will win there division, or at least take the Wild Card position. However two teams are making people change there minds and they happen to be the two biggest rivals in baseball, the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox. Currently in third the Boston Red Sox, with the returning veteran Josh Beckett and the rising Jon Lester along with the addition of John Lackey, The Boston red sox rotation looks like it may be able to come from behind and take the division. But there is a big dark cloud hanging over the heads of the teams that are looking to clinch the AL division and that team is the New York Yankees. The New York Yankees currently hold the number one spot in their division and they seem to be indestructible. Thanks to there stellar pitching rotation consisting of Sabathia, Burnett, Pettite, and Vasquez.

For the NL, the Braves, Giants and the Rockies are all currently looking to take the wild card.

The Braves Currently in first for the wild card are trying to hold their lead in the late going.

The Giants leaning on their rookie catcher Buster Posey and their strong pitching rotation of Barry Zito, Matt Cain and Jonathan Sanchez is definitely a major contender for the wild card. The giants are currently in second for the wild card behind the Atlanta braves and are looking to have an exciting finish.

Last but not least don’t forget about the Colorado Rockies with a great pitching rotation of Ubaldo Jimenez, Jason Marquis, Jorge De la Rosa, and Jason Hammel.

All in all it’s been a great season and it’s looking to be an even better post season.