NFL Commissioner pushing Redskins to change team name

Football fans be warned, the redskins might be changing their team name!  In May 2013, the house of representatives sent a letter to redskins owner Dan Snyder, commissioner  of the nfl Roger Goodell, and other 31 NFL franchises about how many Native Americans have and are finding the football teams name offensive.

“I guess it could be offensive because they are calling the team the redskins and some people call the Native Americans the redskins as like a racial thing,” said Freshman Alex Houston.

Although Snyder said to USA Today when asked if he would change the name, “We’ll never change the name, its that simple NEVER.”

“It shouldn’t’ be changed because the Redskins are like a tradition and they have built up a reputation and really almost all the Native Americans aren’t even offended by it, I don’t see why it would be a problem,” told Junior student Daniel Frew.

Only 10 out of all the congressmen wanted the teams name changed because they thought the “R-word” or Redskins had the same effect on native americans as the “N-word” to African Americans or the “W-word” to Latinos.

“Part of me sees the reason people want to change it, but then theres a part of me that feels like it’s kind of a mute point,” said football coach Montoya.

“I think its ridiculous! Their are so many more important things that we should taking our time on and energy on in the United States rather than worrying about a football teams mascot,” says Sabins when told about how long the argument has been going on.

Native Americans have tried to change the name since the 1980’s but have never seemed to convince congress enough to get the name to change.  Native Americans think that the time has come for the name to be changed.

“I understand the rationale behind the argument to make the change, but I just don’t think it’s degrading because its just a sports mascot and they didn’t do it to make fun of or belittle any American Indians,” explained Sabins

While the Washington Redskins name is being changed because of some people think its a racial slur, its most likely going to be to the congress to decide if it is to be changed.

Some Native Americans are so offended by this football teams name that they march straight up to the congress house and demand it to be changed, but then there are also Native Americans are wearing that teams football jersey proudly on their chests.

For the millions of fans who support this team, the name is not a racial slur, but a name that stands for strength, courage, pride and respect.