Plans for bike park near overlook in early stages

Plans are underway to bring a bike park back to the Auburn area.

The bike park will be built at the Overlook site, near the skate park. The facility will be a track for BMX riders, and will also have endurance tracks for mountain bike riders. It will be set up for all levels of riders, and will help bikers with their skills in balancing, jumping, and turning.

The project will cost anywhere from $40,000 to $60,000 dollars, and supports behind the project are doing everything they can to raise money for the park. The project manager for the bike park is Diana Boyer.

The first fundraising event was at the Food Truck Fiesta at the Rec. Park, and it had a very good turnout. The event made about $6,600. Boyer said that the strongest supports were the food truck vendors who donated some or all of their proceeds to the project. Boyer also states that the park got a grant from the Maidu Indian Reservation.

The bike park has lots of supporters such as all the bike shops around the Auburn area. Boyer supports the park too; she says that “The Park will be a good thing for kids who don’t have a safe place to ride at home.” Boyer also supports the park because she and her two sons ride mountain bikes.

As much support as the project is getting, it is also getting some negative feedback.

Some Auburn residents think that the park will be a waste and won’t be used; a recent article in the Auburn Journal says that some of the residents that live near the Overlook Park are worried about the noise that the project will bring.

The Auburn Journal also states that one Auburn resident says “I think Union Pacific should donate money to the construction of this bike park being that they Scrooged the original “park” that the locals used.”

People behind the bike park have some concerns for it. They are worried about the erosion, and some trees, but other than that the site hasn’t caused any more concern.

To help fund for the park, local bike shops such as, A-Town Bike, Auburn Bike Company, Auburn Bike Works, Bicycle Emporium, and Victory Velo are all selling Auburn Bike Park merchandise, such as hats, shirts, and water bottles. Victory Velo even raffled off a bike at the first fundraising event. The next fundraising event will be a spaghetti feed and it will be held later in the year.

Auburn residents that support the park, hope that it will be a huge success.