Conditioning is an important part of sports season

The winter sports season is underway and the spring sports season is on the horizon. For these athletes conditioning has been a major focus point in their race to league titles.

“It helps build toughness. The pre-conditioning really helps prepare one for the real toughness of the season,” said junior Casey Sabins, member of the football team and former track athlete.

It may not be the most exciting part of sports season but conditioning can make or break an entire team. If all individual members of the team are not in top shape it can have a drastic effect on the teams performance, possibly resulting in a poor level of play causing teams to miss out on playoffs and league titles.

“It’s good to get a head start and be in shape going into the season,” stated junior track athlete Jesse Stedman.   

When a team starts their season preparations one major point of emphasis is to condition players so that they can be at their maximum level of ability. For sports like track and field, baseball and basketball, conditioning is top priority to help ensure that athletes are strong and in good cardiovascular condition in order to have a good chance at winning.

“It prepares you mentally and physically for the end of the game when everyone is fatigued and you have to find energy to finish the game and win,” said junior football player Alec Burnett.

Of course conditioning is not the only thing a team must do to prepare. In the case of a sport such as basketball, football, or soccer, practice of plays and repetition of drills is key to success. If athletes are only in top shape for playing games then they are only halfway there. The other half is Xs and Os. Mental preparation and study of opponent offenses and defenses is also a necessity.  

“Without conditioning you can get injured. You also get ripped,” stated Kevin Harcus, junior and Placer baseball player.

Conditioning is also a good way to help avoid costly injuries during the season. According to studies strength training can help prevent and lessen the severity of knee injuries. Knee injuries can be killer to an athlete’s season and their entire career. In the event of an injury a well conditioned athlete has a higher chance of returning to action sooner than a non-conditioned athlete.  

Conditioning is an overlooked part of every sports season. It helps get athletes faster, stronger and ready to achieve success.