Athletes and nutrition

Athletes put tremendous strain on their bodies. They burn a massive amount of calories and need to continuously refuel themselves by eating. Athletes need all the calories they can get, although some calories are much better for energy than others.

There are many foods that have the power to enhance an athlete’s ability and will give them great energy.

“I eat complex carbohydrates before I workout and eat proteins after I workout. This way I get the energy I need and build lean muscle,” stated junior Cody Riggs. Complex carbohydrates are the best nutrients an athlete can get and are a power house of energy which makes them the best food that an athlete can have before a workout.

There are also simple carbohydrates, but they are not as good as complex carbohydrates because they break down faster and do not provide energy for as long.

“Pasta is great to eat before working out because it has complex carbohydrates and are low in fat. Also drink plenty of water to stay hydrated,” stated math teacher Eric Rodarte. The body stores carbohydrates in the muscles as glycogen. During exercise, the glycogen is taken from the muscles and turned into glucose. The ability to sustain prolonged exercise directly relates to the amount of glucose the body has stored.

“I eat whole grains and fruits before I exercise,” stated junior Haley Tupen. Complex carbohydrates can be found in many foods such as whole grain pasta, whole grain rice, wheat bread, and many other whole grain items.

If an athlete is trying to build muscle, then they should eat protein.

“Chicken, fish, and other lean meats along with green vegetables are great foods for working out. I also drink protein shakes which give me an extra boost to top off my workout,” said senior Steven Cox. Proteins help build muscle and bulk up athletes. Protein is broken down slower than carbohydrates which make muscles grow more. Protein can be found in egg whites, chicken, fish, and nuts.

Fats and sugars are the opposite of what an athlete needs. They provide little energy and keep athletes from enhancing their performance. The sugar burns up too fast and the fats burn to slow, leaving the athlete with little energy. No junk food is good for energy and athletes should stay away from it.

Carbohydrates and proteins are what athletes should be putting into their bodies. Those two combined give the body great nutrients for energy. Junk food should be rarely consumed because of the negative effects it will have on an athlete. If athletes eat well, it will improve their game.