Athlete of the Issue: Nigel Pell

When the team takes the field, there is one person they know they can always rely on: Nigel Pell.

Third year varsity goalie Pell, a senior at Placer High School, has displayed his talent for soccer for eleven years now.

“I just do it…I’m good at it. I’m lazy…I don’t like running,” stated Pell.

When players know that there is someone secure and strong in the goal, they are likely to take more risks on the field; they know that there is someone to make up for any mistakes with a good save or two.

“It’s nice knowing there’s always someone behind me,” explained Matt Norcott, senior Placer student and varsity defender.

Last season, Pell made an impressive save to stop a threatening penalty shot at the Placer vs. Colfax varsity game, which Pell expressed as being his most proud moment.

“Stopping a wicked shot is simply exhilarating,” Pell stated.

So what pumps Pell up for plays? What gets him in the zone? What does he do to prepare himself for the looming pressure setting upon him from his team and coaches?

“I step away from the team and get focused on the inner-Nigel,” Pell explained.

According to maxpreps.com, out of the twenty-four games last season, Pell made 138 saves with eleven shut outs. So far this season, Pell has made thirty-eight saves in just eleven games, without letting a single ball fly past his hands.

“His gloves are stinky, but he’s a good goalie…I’m greatly inspired by his athletic ability,” senior varsity captain Nick Mitchell expressed.

Soccer players and enthusiasts can agree on the fact that goalies have a fair amount of control of what’s happening on the field due to their ability to see more of the layout throughout the game than the other players involved in the plays directly. A few of Pell’s teammates had comments on how Pell behaves in the goal.

“He’s forcefully encouraging…but his gloves smell,” first-year senior varsity soccer player explained Ryan Holden.

“I like his quirky sense of humor,” stated Mitchell.

“I’m honored to play with him…he’s quite encouraging,” admitted senior varsity mid-fielder Dylan Day.

Over the past four seasons, Pell has proved to be well-appreciated and cherished by his teammates, coaches, and fellow students.

In between school, practices, and games, Pell also juggles the weight of AP Calculus as well as jazz band and the role of drum major.

So will this soccer star continue spreading his talent when he moves out of Auburn and on to college?

“I don’t know if I’m going to play in college, but I sure would love to,” Pell stated.

Whether Pell will continue playing goalkeeper or not, he has definitely done Placer a wealth of good over the past four years.