Baseball coach no more

It’s clear that we have a great sports program here at Placer high school: from our football team to our basketball team to our little-known, but just as awesome golf team, no one can doubt the range offered at this school. But one of our sports has recently experienced a loss that will affect the team, for better or for worse.

Placer High School’s baseball team recently lost their head coach, Larry Prewit, who will no longer be coaching. Despite his skills at leading our team to victories in section titles and playoffs, there are some that don’t exactly see this as a bad thing.

One varsity team member stated, “There has been a lot of complaining from parents about the intensity of the workouts we go through. It’s the mentality he puts on the players. If you mess up—even a little bit—it’s enough to get you thrown off the team.”

A few of the players made comments on the workouts they have been put through being on this team and said that many students at Placer refused to try out at all because of fear for Prewitt and his reputation.  

“It’s just not a fun environment. It’s taking the fun out of a sport we all love,” another varsity player said. “It will be really nice to have a great season under new coaching staff.”

Interestingly enough, there are two sides to every story. Where there are extremes to the left, there will always be extremes to the right.   

Take junior Ryan Mason for example. He feels that the practices were intense, but that that is how it ought to be. “He’s just preparing us for college. It was more professional, and we still had fun during the games.” 

Even senior Paul Bandanza said that when “punishments” were served, they were well deserved. “This is just outright ridiculous. He wouldn’t do any of the crazy things that people are saying he’s doing. If a player had to run at practice it’s because they were late or doing something stupid. He’s done a lot for Placer and even more for our team. I don’t know how the team is going to do without him.”

Rumors always fly around in times like this, but many of the players were ready to defend their former coach to the end.

Paul Bandanza made it clear that the coach wasn’t “fired,” but that he “opted to resign.”

“He called me right after it happened. He said that he was resigning as the coach and that he wanted to tell me himself before anyone could tell me otherwise,” said Bandanza.  

Ryan Mason said “He’s just ready to retire. He’s just done coaching.”

With any position of authority there is always some play on favoritism, but according to many of the players, this coach would never play the favorite card.

“That’s crazy!” one player explained. “Guaranteed. He would never do something like that.”

So whatever the reason, it is always hard for Placer to lose a coach after all the years. Larry Prewit did a lot for our baseball program and a lot more for many of the members.